Aluminum foil on your bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20307

Reaction score
If you are having trouble with your bullet/sabot going down the bore too easily then try this trick. Not all muzzleloaders are created equal. Some bores are larger than .50 and some are smaller. If your bore is over sized and you've tried all the bullet/sabot combinations without results then try the aluminum foil trick. You can use household foil. Lay it out on a cutting board and cut strips of foil the height of your bullet to the ogive. Wrap the bullet and trim to fit. Slide the bullet wrapped in foil into the sabot and give it a try. Make some with one, two and three layers to obtain best results. The foil will not harm accuracy or your rifle. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 20160722_153834.jpg
    20160722_153834.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 53
Or you can do what most do, and is much easier, IMO, and just knurl up your bullets with a couple of #1 bastard files. Takes less than 10 seconds to do a bullet and gives the added advantage of increasing the bullet's grip on the sabot.

Knurling bullets sounds interesting. Might give it a try with some bullets I have that do not group well just for fun.

My issue was the sabot. Sabots are poured into a mold and as such are susceptible to discrepancies. As the mold is used and gets dirty the sabot may come out of the mold reduced in diameter. This is a rare occurrence but does happen. It is always best to buy your sabots in lots. Even when buying from the local sporting goods store check all packages for same lot before purchasing. The manufacturer sent me out some new and it solved the problem.

Latest posts

Back