Ammo/Reloading Supplies/Firearms

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTY

Reaction score
A good percentage of the local gun stores use the same wholesalers throughout the country. The store I ran opens at 10 in the morning. This means the east coast retailers that open at 8 have a five hour head start picking over the day's available supplies.

I wake up early each morning whether I want to or not. I told the person currently running the store that I would check the wholesalers when I get up for the items mentioned in the title. I go online a couple of hours before the east coast retailers open up.

There is very little available. Most morning I can find nothing to purchase. There is a good supply of .223, 5.56, .308, and 7.62 Nato, 9MM, and 40S&W but little else. No hunting ammo, no powder, no primers or caps, and very few rifles to shoot the stuff in if it was available. There is a good supply of semiauto handguns, but few revolvers. AR's are plentiful.

A large company can buy direct from the manufacturers, but the minimum order is prohibitively expensive for the small retailer. You may find supplies at a box store because of this, but the small guy is being starved out.

The situation was terrible after November 2011, but that pales in comparison to today.

Around here ammo is plentiful again. Guns shelves are full as well. It's the powder and primers that are still hard to find.

When you say ammo is plentiful, do you mean in small local shops or in the big corporate stores? If the small places have plenty of ammo, I'd like to know where they are getting it.
I have not seen a new Winchester Model 70 in a warehouse in months. The new Rem Arms 700 rifles are starting to show up, but the common ones are 308 varmint, or 308 or 6.5CM MagPul hunters . I did see a couple of warehouses had 700 30-06 rifles, but less than ten at any one place.
Bergara, Tikka, Weatherby, and Savage rifles are plentiful.

Thanks for posting this. Small retailers seem to be limited to trying to make a living off of used guns/trading around here. Don't like black plastic - which seems to be most of what's on the shelves right now.

Paying hundreds of bucks for mass-produced plastic? nope.

Situation is sad now for the working man. Bad part it's getting worse and not just ammo and firearms related.

Latest posts

Back