Ammunition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Four days ago my sister-in-law's son contacted me want to know if I could order his mother some ammunition..22 shells, 22 Magnum, 17 HMR and the other 17. She wanted like 3 to 5000 22 shells, and perhaps 1000 of the other sizes. Said she'd been thinking since the election, that it wouldn't hurt to stock up, her husband passed away 11 years ago she was getting low on ammunition. I should mention she lives on a ranch.
Don't you know I went online and can't find any 22 shells, and not much luck with the other sizes. When I did find some 22 shells, they were $.24 each and the other ones were more. Some were advertised six cents per 22 shells but they didn't have any. Have any of you guys tried to buy ammunition? I've been messing with front stuffers for quite a while, so I haven't tried getting any regular shells. I was just totally surprised that they are that short in supply.
Squint

The only ammo i see on shelves around here is 12 & 20ga bird shot and 350 Legend. And some small selections of rifle ammo. I think .270 and .243 seems like. But only a very few boxes. Might have been a box or 2 of 17hmr on a shelf at Dunhams.

The small shops around me that I've been in have a pretty good supply of center fire rifle ammo, very little handgun ammo, I didn’t look to see what they had for rimfire ammo but my guess is they had it. The shelves at the larger chain places are pretty much empty.

Anybody know where you can find Tresco #11 1/28" nipples? Seems nobody has them. Also, you see the prices of powder and Musket Caps! A store by me not going to mention names has RWS Musket Nipples for $28 and Swiss 2F for $38. :mad:

Anybody know where you can find Tresco #11 1/28" nipples? Seems nobody has them. Also, you see the prices of powder and Musket Caps! A store by me not going to mention names has RWS Musket Nipples for $28 and Swiss 2F for $38. :mad:
Jedediah Starr Trading Company usually has them. Search for ''nipples'' once you log on.

I make a trip to a local motorcycle shop that sells outdoor supplies as well. Limited to one box I can purchase one box of Federal .22 50 rounds and 1 box american eagle .22 40 rounds.

I try to go every couple of days. It's really annoying. .10 cents a round.

I remember when a box of .22 ammo cost .99 cents.

Haven't check lately but when I bought my Henry Rifle in .22 cal a couple months ago I got two boxes of 100 rnds each of .22 shorts. Don't need the L or LR for rabbits and small varmints so went with the shorts. CCI branded.

Was just at the same gun shop I purchased my Henry at. Very low on ammunition of all kinds. Few primers, had a sign up that would not be selling any ammo for their range due to the difficulty in replacing it. 2 months ago they had about 12 or 15 various used long guns on the rack and close to 2 dozen on the new rack. Today they had 5 used long guns and about 8 new long guns. A guy was in looking at a new shotgun. Asked what their best price was on it. Was told that is thew price due to the hard time of getting replacements for any guns right now. So what has happened in the last 2 or 3 months to make this shortage for all things firearm related?

Was just at the same gun shop I purchased my Henry at. Very low on ammunition of all kinds. Few primers, had a sign up that would not be selling any ammo for their range due to the difficulty in replacing it. 2 months ago they had about 12 or 15 various used long guns on the rack and close to 2 dozen on the new rack. Today they had 5 used long guns and about 8 new long guns. A guy was in looking at a new shotgun. Asked what their best price was on it. Was told that is thew price due to the hard time of getting replacements for any guns right now. So what has happened in the last 2 or 3 months to make this shortage for all things firearm related?
The Election.
Squint

You should get out more. This started in March.
Most information I have is that primers might be available in 2022
I would classify these times as the worst shortages in the last 70 years.
Have a nice day.
Though ”ammo scares“ are nothing new, I’m afraid this one isn’t going to be like the others. I read an article back in the summer that was projecting a mid summer 2021 ”recovery” if President Trump won the election, but all bets were off if Biden won. Well, here we are facing a Joe and the VP* administration, so I guess we’ll just have to hang on and see how this all shakes out.
Personally, I learned a lot from the 2012 Sandy Hook shortage and have taken measures to not be scrambling now.
The only thing I don’t have that I would like to have is some Blackhorn 209.
I‘ve been shooting smokeless muzzleloaders for about 10 years and am well stocked on that front, but I’m now thinking of going back to a “smoke pole“. I have plenty Pyrodex but am wanting to try the Blackhorn. If I find it, fine, but if I don’t, it won’t stop me from shooting.

*edited out the slur

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back