Another 1:48 Twist Accuracy Test Coming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is a Test i had planned to do back when i was Accuracy Testing the Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade, But never got around to doing it

TC Maxi Balls are HUGE Lube PIGS, They Carry way more Lube than my 1.5” Long .45 Cal Long Range Bullets, I believe this LARGE amount of Lube can Cause Accuracy problems? I feel Confident that it can Negatively effect Accuracy (Types/Consistency of Lubes ABSOLUTELY makes a Difference in Accuracy, That i KNOW!) But I can’t be 100% Sure on this Single Groove Lubed ONLY VS Both Grooves Lubed, as I’ve not Tested this Exact Test Before (I have tested 1 Groove Lubed, The Bottom Groove ONLY, in my .50 LRH 1:28 Twist and it Shot EXCELLENT, But I didn’t Try with Both Grooves Lubed)

This Test is to See if i can tell a Difference in Accuracy of Only 1 Groove Lubed (Bottom Groove) VS Both Grooves Lubed? These will be Shot in the Same Stock 1:48 Twist .50 Cal TC Renegade as all the other Tests. These “Rounded Lube Groove” Style TC Maxi Balls are Cast Certified PURE Soft Lead. Bullets all Weigh Identical.

I will Foul the Bore with 1, maybe 2 Shots, Swab the Bore Good, Then Shoot a 3 Shot Group of the Bottom Groove Lubed ONLY, then a 3 Shot Group of Both Grooves Lubed. 80 Grains of Swiss 2F By Weight, and 1/8” Wool Felt Over Powder Wads
B8qPU7Xl.jpg

Get out there Lewis before the wind picks up! Should be an interesting experiment. I’d be interested in your lube recipes As well! Good luck!!!

Just got done here, Same Spot i have been Short Range Bullet Testing, 55-60 Yards. It turned out like i Suspicioned it would, But it was MUCH more Drastic than i figured it would be. I explain at the end of the Video what’s happening when Both Grooves are Lubed

DRASTIC Results

The Bullets again, Cast of the SAME PURE LEAD, From The Same Casting Session, Same Bullet Lube, Same Powder Charge, Same Over Powder Wad, The ONLY Difference here is Lube in 1 Groove ONLY, VS Lube in Both Grooves.
B8qPU7X.jpg

3 Shot Group with Both Grooves Lubed, ABSOLUTELY AWFUL, and this was only 55-60 Yards. This is my WELL PROVEN Bullet Lube that i shoot to 600-800 Yards.
UQUmFct.jpg

And the 3 Shot Group with JUST the Bottom Groove Lubed, NIGHT & DAY Difference to say the least
LIBxpXS.jpg

Very surprising results!
Now you got me thinking.
Why would TC sell something like that if they shot so terrible
Thank you for all the work and effort you put into educating novice like me

Lewis
Me and my TC Hawken thank you. GOOD TEST. Makes for a better try in the 50 Hawken. Maybe no waisted ammo up front this time around. You always do good tests my friend.
DL

Lewis ,

When you mentioned that a bullet with that much lube couldn't shed all of its lube in the barrel and that it was still shedding in flight due to centrifugal force all I could think of how bad a car shakes when the tires are out of balance. I'm glad you stuck with your earlier suspicions and did this test.

Just got done here, Same Spot i have been Short Range Bullet Testing, 55-60 Yards. It turned out like i Suspicioned it would, But it was MUCH more Drastic than i figured it would be. I explain at the end of the Video what’s happening when Both Grooves are Lubed

DRASTIC Results

The Bullets again, Cast of the SAME PURE LEAD, From The Same Casting Session, Same Bullet Lube, Same Powder Charge, Same Over Powder Wad, The ONLY Difference here is Lube in 1 Groove ONLY, VS Lube in Both Grooves.
B8qPU7X.jpg

3 Shot Group with Both Grooves Lubed, ABSOLUTELY AWFUL, and this was only 55-60 Yards. This is my WELL PROVEN Bullet Lube that i shoot to 600-800 Yards.
UQUmFct.jpg

And the 3 Shot Group with JUST the Bottom Groove Lubed, NIGHT & DAY Difference to say the least
LIBxpXS.jpg

Incredible ! Once again you have proven a theory that you had and published proof of the results. You are a terrific asset to the shooting community. Would enjoy meeting you some day so that we could have a good chat and share some experiences. Great work !

Awesome! Still waiting on some lanolin from snail mail!!! I believe you just saved me a lot of lube.

Very surprising results!
Now you got me thinking.
Why would TC sell something like that if they shot so terrible
Thank you for all the work and effort you put into educating novice like me
Nothing wrong with the bullet ,seems you"ve just been shown it works ! Just lube the bottom groove .,I"ve got the same mold and no where does it suggest how I lube it ,that"s up to the caster/shooter to learn/(I just learned) /Thanks Lew/Ed

Very interesting. I have a couple boxes of old TC maxi hunters that are all dried up. I'm going to scrape all the old lube off and relube just the bottom groove.

This was a Fun Test this morning. The Reason i did this Test is that i FULLY suspected this being the CULPRIT (Both Grooves Lubed) of my last Maxi Ball outing FLOP with this same Rifle, and it turned out i was right. If you remember, The TC Maxi Ball, and TC Maxi Hunters Shot worse than ANYTHING else i tried in this Rifle earlier this Spring in my Accuracy Testing, The little 250 Grain Lee R.E.A.L. Didn't do that well either.

I know i mention it in the Video, But Here is something else that Stayed in the Back of my Mind, and another reason why I wanted to Do this Test this morning in the Stock 1:48 Twist Renegade. I did this Test like 2 years ago in my Green Mountain LRH 1:28 Twist, I had Tried Maxi’s LONG ago (Both Grooves Lubed) and they NEVER did shoot Well? So I Decided to try just 1 Groove Lubed, BINGO!! The Maxi Ball Shot GREAT here :lewis: And to Top it off, All 3 of these Shots were Slight Hangfires, This was with Swiss 2F Caviar, I Stil have this Can of Powder, With only these 3 Powder Charges Taken from it :)

Very interesting. I have a couple boxes of old TC maxi hunters that are all dried up. I'm going to scrape all the old lube off and relube just the bottom groove.

I wouldn’t do this with the Maxi “Hunters” They don’t have these HUGE DEEP Grooves like the Maxi “Ball” Does. I would clean them up, and Lube all Grooves back up, With as Soft of Lube as you get to Stay on the Bullet :lewis: Like Crisco

Incredible ! Once again you have proven a theory that you had and published proof of the results. You are a terrific asset to the shooting community. Would enjoy meeting you some day so that we could have a good chat and share some experiences. Great work !

Thank you for the Kind Words LR_Smoker, I would enjoy that Visit as well, and Welcome it ANYTIME :lewis:

Lewis, I just got back from a mountain drive. Had to get out of the house. My surgery is healing nicely but no shooting for another week! So I went for a long drive in the hills. Now back to topic. I'm not surprised with your results. I've read about that one groove lube technique somewhere before. Probably from you! 😂 . Nice shooting.

Latest posts

Back