Another 1:48 Twist Accuracy Test Coming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys enjoy that bear meat. I will give you mine while I enjoy my Elk and Whitetail deer. Or maybe a ruffed Grouse or even a Pheasant.
You eat a good piece of fresh moose you will have a whole different outlook on eating strong tasting bear meat.
Or not!

You eat a good piece of fresh moose you will have a whole different outlook on eating strong tasting bear meat.

Absolute truth here. I'd feed elk to the dog for moose meat in its stead.

I can attest to the fact properly rendered bear fat (NO MEAT) has no Oder for at least 4-5 yrs ! The last bear I shot with my stik bow so my oil is that old in the basement on a shelf ,and you could use it for baking but the wife dosen"t buy it (WHY it"s in the basement) Ed
Bear grease is supposed to make the BEST biscuits and pie dough EVER!!

Mattes Try butter tasting Crisco you might like it for baking Or lard for that matter much easier than killing and rendering bear grease

Things can be very special easy or difficult. I prefer easy! Woohoo! Your little woohoo would make a nice moving target for practice.

Mattes Try butter tasting Crisco you might like it for baking Or lard for that matter much easier than killing and rendering bear grease
When I worked as a pastry chef there were commercial fats not available for purchase to the general public especially suited for doughs like biscuits and pie.

One place that I worked I was responsible for 4, full-sized, sheet pans (measuring 18" × 26" × 1"), per night of Danish dough. I made the basic dough with the Hi-Tex shortening in a 80-quart mixer. After the dough had risen once in the 80-quart bowl, the dough was scooped out onto a 20' × 6' × 1' maple bench, with 1" thick, butcher block-like laminations.

Then the dough was divided/scaled into 4 equal parts. Three parts were put onto floured sheet pans, and refrigerated, while the first part was worked.

While the dough was rising in the bowl of the mixer, I would be preparing the butter/shortening mixture to roll into the dough. This was a mix of Country Morning Blend (40% shortening/60% butter), and Hi-Tex shortening. Worked out percentage wise to 50/50.

The portion of dough was initially rolled out to the length of the sheet pan, and 3 times the width of the sheet pan. The fat mixture, heavily floured, was divided in 4 parts. Each portion was divided in 2, and rolled out to 16" × 24".

One portion of the fat was carefully laid onto the center of the rolled out dough. Then one side was brought over to the center of the dough, and pinched all around. The second half of the fat mix was then laid on top of the first, the other side of the dough brought over to the center, and sealed off.

The dough was then turned 90°, and rolled out to the length of, and 4 times the width of the sheet pan. Then a book fold was performed by folding both sides to the center, and then folding the dough in half.

I used a 4" diameter × 20" long, maple, commercial rolling pin with a 3/8" diameter steel rod running through the body in sealed cartridge bearings.

Excess flour was removed from the fat and dough with a natural bristle bench brush. All of this work was performed as quickly as possible to keep the fat as cold as possible. I worked in an un-airconditioned kitchen that was HOT from a 1910's rotary oven that worked like a carousel, and held 36 sheet pans.

As soon as the first portion of dough was finished with the first book fold, it was immediately refrigerated. Then the same process was completed with the remaining 3 portions of the raw dough.

When all of the raw dough had had its fat rolled into it, then an additional 3 book folds were performed upon each piece of dough, with the dough being refrigerated between each fold.

When finished, each pan was slipped into a plastic trash bag, and refrigerated for 24 hours minimum until being made into pastries.

3= Initial fold = 3 layers
3×4= 1st book fold = 12 layers
12×4= 2nd book fold = 48 layers
48×4= 3rd book fold = 192 layers
192×4= 4th book fold = 768 layers

This was the early 1980's when I was doing this. Before I discovered that constant exposure to flour dust particulates was aggravating my seasonal allergies to year round, and causing me to have daily, near-migraine headaches.

P.S.
When baked in a hot oven, the moisture in the layers of cold fat, separated by layers of dough, explodes into steam, causing the dough to puff up, and rise. When cool, this is what gives puff pastry, Danish dough, Baklava dough, and other similar pastries their light, fluffy texture. The butter is what gives it that rich mouth feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like quite an art. Make my mouth water thinking how it must have smelled when baking.
We had a bread company owned by a family on the south side of Indy. When working in Indy we would get a fresh loaf of bread right out of the oven still warm and eat the whole thing with a stick of butter. Goooooooood stuff ! We were young guys building highway then in the 1970's summer job.
Helped pay for my schooling.

Back