Another 1:48 Twist Accuracy Test Coming

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are amounts of the lanolin, beeswax and rendered bear fat Idaholewis?
Could I use bear fat with beeswax to lube my wool wad material before cutting or is there a better recipe with bear fat for wads? Thanks to all of you for all of the tips!

Post 25 Is the modified Buck Emmetts lube I’m going to try. If the lanolin I ordered ever shows up! Wonder if render raccoon fat would work? Since their related to bears! LOL 😃

Post 25 Is the modified Buck Emmetts lube I’m going to try. If the lanolin I ordered ever shows up! Wonder if render raccoon fat would work? Since their related to bears! LOL 😃
I know coon fat works having coon dogs for 30+ yrs and I still trap I have skinned (A FEW) and after one hide your hands shur get soft !

Thanks Boomeup! "1 lb of Beeswax, 12.5 oz Crisco 1.5 oz Lanolin 1.5 oz Olive Oil." So in this case I would use bear fat in place of the crisco yes?
Would this be good for both bullet lube and wad lube?
Thanks in advance for all the help!:thumb:

Really haven’t tried it yet! I was told that it was a good lube! Then I’ve read where thin lube is best! So I assume that’s Lee’s Alox or Xlox from white label. Possible Ben’s liquid lube. There‘s a lot of recipes out there. Just have to play around and see what works! If you already have bear grease I’d start there. Don’t over think all this.

Thanks Boomeup! "1 lb of Beeswax, 12.5 oz Crisco 1.5 oz Lanolin 1.5 oz Olive Oil." So in this case I would use bear fat in place of the crisco yes?
Would this be good for both bullet lube and wad lube?
Thanks in advance for all the help!:thumb:

This Recipe sounds promising, This is part of the Fun of this stuff :lewis: Just keep tinkering with the ingredients until you achieve a Texture that you like, and of Course your Rifle likes

As for an Exact Recipe? What is that? :) I go by texture/feel. My Main ingredients are BEESWAX/LANOLIN/RENDERED LARD

It has been my experience that a Thinner Lube will beat a Harder Lube EVERYTIME, I want my Lube to “Just hold” in the Lube Grooves, If it’s to Hard? Thin it down Some with More Rendered Bear Lard, And/Or Olive Oil

Thanks for the additional information. I'm 95% ready to start mixing with one (maybe) remaining question. What will the mixture of bear fat (rendered), lanolin and beeswax smell like without being refrigerated, ie. does it rot due to the bear fat? Does the beeswax and lanolin "preserve" the bear fat? Many olfactory thanks:lewis:

Thanks for the additional information. I'm 95% ready to start mixing with one (maybe) remaining question. What will the mixture of bear fat (rendered), lanolin and beeswax smell like without being refrigerated, ie. does it rot due to the bear fat? Does the beeswax and lanolin "preserve" the bear fat? Many olfactory thanks:lewis:
I can attest to the fact properly rendered bear fat (NO MEAT) has no Oder for at least 4-5 yrs ! The last bear I shot with my stik bow so my oil is that old in the basement on a shelf ,and you could use it for baking but the wife dosen"t buy it (WHY it"s in the basement) Ed

I can attest to the fact properly rendered bear fat (NO MEAT) has no Oder for at least 4-5 yrs ! The last bear I shot with my stik bow so my oil is that old in the basement on a shelf ,and you could use it for baking but the wife dosen"t buy it (WHY it"s in the basement) Ed

Bear lard fries the best damned donuts a guy can eat. Sweet potato fries are super done in bear lard. Bear lard can be stored in covered containers in the pantry for a lonnnnnng time.

I have eaten Black bear meat. Didn't care for it much. Don't know anything about the fat except it was used with the guns way back in early days.
Sperm whale oil was the best for guns but that went away when they outlawed killing them.

Bear taste depends on what they ate ,garbage in /out taste like garbage ,time of year matters and most important how it"s handled and how soon . Been on guided bow hunts where the guide gets it back to camp not gutted and there it hangs .The lucky hunter then mentions backstraps ,the (guide) then eyeballs the lucky one and mentions we usually take it to the dump or a bait station but jumps right in to butchering . The (lucky one ) then goes home with less than prime vittles ,however if handled properly bear meat is great !/Ed

I agree. Bear meat is my wife and daughters favorite meat. Cook it in a crock pot with mushroom soup for 6 to 8 hours and it is wonderful.

Fall is a great time to hunt for them as they concentrate around the food sources.

Latest posts

Back