Another Blackhorn Ignition Problem....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hex shank drill bits are easy to grab and fit in a 1/4" nut driver handle if needed.

I keep 2 in my Wheeler screwdriver set. They fit right in the handle.
297593.jpg

Why put up with the expense and ignition problems of BH209 when 777 is a superior powder I guess it just drinking that BH209 kool-aid.
I think you’d find about 1 out of 100 people that would agree with your statement but use whatever you like. I’ve used both and I wouldn’t use 777 again if it was free.

Why put up with the expense and ignition problems of BH209 when 777 is a superior powder I guess it just drinking that BH209 kool-aid.

I guess its because i never have a problem igniting BH209. One time i had a hangfire and it would have happened even using T7 with a clogged flash channel. Rifles should not belch filth into the action and because mine dont all the energy from the primer goes to the powder.

If you enjoy cleaning between shots and using water in your barrel well im happy for you. I dont clean centerfires this way so i see no reason to clean my inline MLs this way either. I clean less and shoot more. No kool-aide needed. If i wanna use a powder like that i will use Swiss with even better extreme spreads than Triple7 for about the same price per pound. Nearly the same speed and ignites even easier.

There is a reason only 2 powders dominate the inline matches and Triple7 is not one of them.

Last edited:
When you say “fouled” barrel, what is your method of fouling ?

I put in about 1/3 of a normal charge of Blackhorn powder and one of the many bullets I've acquired over the years, that I don't use anymore, and shoot it. When I went to Nebraska hunting 2 weeks ago I fired it off and ran a single patch through it the afternoon before we hit the road, then loaded it up for hunting the next morning. We were staying in a motel and didn't figure the other guests would appreciate me fouling the barrel at 4 in the morning.
Thank you.

777 superior to BH209??? I rather use match heads than 777. If you have ignition problems with 209 the problem is your gun not the powder. Your primer is likely not sealed in the breech plug with the gun locked up.

Latest posts

Back