Another casting Tip (Building up a GOOD Sprue)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
When you get everything running right, Your Alloy/Lead to the Desired Temp, and your Mold to it’s perfect Temp. When you Start Casting, make sure and Puddle up a Nice Big Sprue on Top, This makes a BIG difference in Base Fillout.

Like this
c1qn3fd.jpg

Cut the Sprue within a Few Seconds of it Solidifying, DON’T Wait to long! I hear some of you mention 30-45 Seconds, that is WAY WAY WAY to long in my Experience. Quick as you Cut the Sprue, Dump the Bullet, and QUICKLY Re-fill the Mold again.

This process to HIGH Quality Bullets is a Heat, Speed, and Rhythm thing. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, You will get it Down :lewis:
vXlMhS0.jpg

After the Sprue has been Cut, you will find a PERFECTLY Filled Out, RAZOR SHARP Bullet Base like this. Without the Need for Compression
1Qwbcw7.jpg

Simply Put, By following my Content here, You can’t make a Nicer Bullet. ”Mirrors of the Mold”
qP2E40x.jpg

This was a Small, Quick Run of my New #50-415i Bullet to test in my Soon to be 1-24 Twist RICE Barrel. My Keep Rate was 100% here :lewis: All 22 Bullets Weigh 429.5 to 429.8
Z7twMHU.jpg

What Herschel said :lewis: You wanna keep the Mold Rolling, as quickly as you can Cast. Of course you don’t wanna jump the Gun and Drop a “Wet“ Bullet, Then you have a MESS on your hands.
Although I’m far from your level of expertise I’ve come a long way following your advice.
How do you manage to keep the lead temperature constant with the Lee pot ?
I have a brand new Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot and I have wide temperature swings when I try to maintain 810 degrees.
Thank you for sharing.

Although I’m far from your level of expertise I’ve come a long way following your advice.
How do you manage to keep the lead temperature constant with the Lee pot ?
I have a brand new Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot and I have wide temperature swings when I try to maintain 810 degrees.
Thank you for sharing.

Are you casting outside in the Cold? Or in a heated garage Etc? I cast in my unfinished Basement, That is also where my Wood Stove is, which is the Main source of heat in my Home. The Temp in my Basement in the Winter Months stays in the 70s

I have never continually checked my Allow/Lead Temp, I simply use my Thermometer to Set my Pot to 800-810, when i achieve that my Thermometer is Wiped clean and Put away, It might be a Month before i check it again?

I can tell by the Way the Bullets are Coming out if my Heat is to low, or WAY High. To low, and you get poor Fillout, and if you are Hotter than needed (With PURE Lead) the Bullets will Start to Discolor, an Amber, then Blue Color. I look for the Slight Amber Tint, That will be around 810 Degrees.

Are you casting outside in the Cold? Or in a heated garage Etc? I cast in my unfinished Basement, That is also where my Wood Stove is, which is the Main source of heat in my Home. The Temp in my Basement in the Winter Months stays in the 70s

I have never continually checked my Allow/Lead Temp, I simply use my Thermometer to Set my Pot to 800-810, when i achieve that my Thermometer is Wiped clean and Put away, It might be a Month before i check it again?

I can tell by the Way the Bullets are Coming out if my Heat is to low, or WAY High. To low, and you get poor Fillout, and if you are Hotter than needed (With PURE Lead) the Bullets will Start to Discolor, an Amber, then Blue Color. I look for the Slight Amber Tint, That will be around 810 Degrees.
I must admit that I have been casting outside and it has been in the low twenties. I also have an unfinished basement however I was concerned with fumes from the lead so tried to do my casting outside however it may not be the best place with these temperatures. I’m determined to get close to your level of casting one way or the other. My brother always told me that if you throw a plate of spaghetti at the wall something always sticks and if you throw enough eventually you will paint the wall red. You could say that I’m starting to see a bit of colour but I’ve got a ways to go.
Thanks for the help.

One more question.
When you start heating up the pot do you plug it in and then wait for a given time frame or do you verify the temperature with a thermometer and once it’s stabilized at 810 start casting ?
Thanks

I must admit that I have been casting outside and it has been in the low twenties. I also have an unfinished basement however I was concerned with fumes from the lead so tried to do my casting outside however it may not be the best place with these temperatures. I’m determined to get close to your level of casting one way or the other. My brother always told me that if you throw a plate of spaghetti at the wall something always sticks and if you throw enough eventually you will paint the wall red. You could say that I’m starting to see a bit of colour but I’ve got a ways to go.
Thanks for the help.

Those Low outside temps are what’s getting ya!! I tried that once as well, back when i first Started Casting, i did so out in my unheated single Car Garage, I could NOT get consistent Results. I would have a Good Casting Session, and then a Bad one?? Teens to 20s are pretty Typical here in Winter Months, I found that to be WAY to Cold to keep Everything Running Consistent

Personally, I Don’t worry about Lead Fumes, Not in the Least. I am not Careless about it, I don’t wrap a towel around my head and Drape over the Lead Pot while Casting :p A guy could get a Good Respirator if he was Worried?

One more question.
When you start heating up the pot do you plug it in and then wait for a given time frame or do you verify the temperature with a thermometer and once it’s stabilized at 810 start casting ?
Thanks

My pots are obviously Set where i like them (The Dial setting) I plug the Pot in and Forget about it for about 40-45 Minutes if it’s FULL, Which my Pots Stay Full, after each Casting Session i ad Back to the Pot to keep it full.

I ONLY buy Stamp Certified PURE Lead, and Alloys From BACO, This way I know EXACTLY what is going in my Lead Pots. This goes for my PURE Lead Pot, 1-20 Alloy Pot, and Lyman #2 Pot
This is my PURE Lead, I get it in 9 Pound Chop Blocks
v9G39hg.jpg

So the pot will be coming into the basement. Be a lot more comfortable and make for more consistent results.
Not paranoid about fumes I just thought that it would be safer all the way around however if you think about it spending months outside trying multiple casting sessions probably exposes me to more risk overall than just doing it right the first time.
I have problems getting lead the same way you do here in Canada with the border closed I can’t get the same materials shipped here for a reasonable price. I haven’t found a Canadian supplier that has certified lead at reasonable prices for small quantities so I basically scrounge lead from the local recycler. I have become a lot more fussy with what I buy and my lead hardness tester has been a great tool to use to verify the hardness. Every baby step forward helps so eventually I’ll get there. I don’t think that I’m really that far off it’s just the little details that are keeping me out of the 10 ring. Thanks for your help.

So the pot will be coming into the basement. Be a lot more comfortable and make for more consistent results.
Not paranoid about fumes I just thought that it would be safer all the way around however if you think about it spending months outside trying multiple casting sessions probably exposes me to more risk overall than just doing it right the first time.
I have problems getting lead the same way you do here in Canada with the border closed I can’t get the same materials shipped here for a reasonable price. I haven’t found a Canadian supplier that has certified lead at reasonable prices for small quantities so I basically scrounge lead from the local recycler. I have become a lot more fussy with what I buy and my lead hardness tester has been a great tool to use to verify the hardness. Every baby step forward helps so eventually I’ll get there. I don’t think that I’m really that far off it’s just the little details that are keeping me out of the 10 ring. Thanks for your help.

You will get there my friend!! Be DILIGENT about it :lewis:

One of the Beauties of a Bottom pour pot is that you Allow the Oxide Crust to form over the Top, You DON’T wanna Stir that, Leave that Oxide Crust on Top Alone! Underneath is BEAUTIFUL Silver Lead/Alloy Whatever you are using :lewis: You simply lift the Handle and you get a Clean Silver Stream that fills the Mold. You are not getting any Lead Dust, or Bad Fumes. Stirring/Agitating it is what would do that, There is just NO NEED with a Bottom Pour Pot. That Oxide Crust on Top is your Friend, Leave it there to protect YOU & your Lead/Alloy underneath :lewis:

I am on my way out the Door right now headed to BACO, I have a Couple more COOL Tips for ya when i get Back. I meant to do a Video on them but forgot to, This will help you a BUNCH with a Bottom Pour Pot

I’m just chomping at the bit waiting to see what you’ve got to show us.
I have to give you fair warning though, IF I get to go to Colorado this fall there’s a very good chance that I’m going to try and meet up with you so that I can personally thank you.

Question for idaho lewis since you always use certified lead and alloy do you have to flux as often or at all?

I do all my molding of bullets outside in warm weather using pure lead. Out of 25 I usually get 20+ bullets, 1gr +/-.

Last edited:
Back