Another casting Tip (Building up a GOOD Sprue)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y’all have inspired me, and I’m going to start casting my own bullets. I’m picking up 11 pounds of lead this evening I found locally, and I will be ordering a mould soon. I will be out of town on business for a good part of January, so I won’t be able to really get started until probably February. This forum is a gold mine of information on the topic. :lewis:

Y’all have inspired me, and I’m going to start casting my own bullets. I’m picking up 11 pounds of lead this evening I found locally, and I will be ordering a mould soon. I will be out of town on business for a good part of January, so I won’t be able to really get started until probably February. This forum is a gold mine of information on the topic. :lewis:

There’s NOTHING like being in Control of the Quality of YOUR Bullets. If you follow the advice i have layed out on here, you will be casting BEAUTIFUL Bullets in no time, FAR & AWAY Better than any Cast Bullet you can Buy :lewis:

My friends are always surprized when they see the cast bullets im making and shooting. But they all seem convinced that their pointy saboted bullets are better for accuracy and hunting. I used to think that smaller and pointy was the best. Ive learnt thats not always the case now. I love making EXACTLY the bullet that I want instead of buying something close. Now im even getting ok at it too. In large part due to yer help, thx IdahoLewis.

Just about every deer I've shot has been with my cast bullets. One of my most memorable hunts ,I heard two shotgun shots come come were my Wife's nephew was hunting so I called on the cell phone and asked if he missed twice, he told me no I just shot 2 Bucks so I went to help. After field dressing both of them we started to walk back to get a cart when he said I forgot my gloves and when we turned around there was a big Doe and while he was saying "do you think we should" I pulled the trigger of my muzzleloader. Then we found out his Dad shot a big Doe on the other side of the woods with his muzzleloader. In less than an hour we had 4 deer and I casted every bullet we used that day. Casting is just an extension of our hobby.

I have been inspired as well with the knowledge and fixes that lewis has provided. As well as the experiences he has been through. With that knowledge he has provided makes me confident in the arts of casting and shooting a Muzzelloader better and accurately.
thankyou lewis for the time in the videos and info you provide for us on the forums it a lot oh helpwell needed

Although I’m far from your level of expertise I’ve come a long way following your advice.
How do you manage to keep the lead temperature constant with the Lee pot ?
I have a brand new Lee 20 lb bottom pour pot and I have wide temperature swings when I try to maintain 810 degrees.
Thank you for sharing.

LR, I just installed a PID temperature controller on my LEE 10 lb pot. I’ve “bread boarded” the controls for trial an error first. Worked superb in controlling temperature. And quick too. Easy to adjust temp.
I was running 825 F.
No re-wiring necessary on Lee pot other than adding a K thermal couple.
I expect to have $65-$75 in total outfit once I build the enclosure and other ease of operation adds
I’ll be putting some pics on later upon final build.

I just received a PID controller, K type thermocouple, 30amp SSR and heat sink. Guess what I’m up too ? Pretty sure a consistent temperature is beneficial to casting consistent quality based on what I’ve understood from the Lewis the Master Caster. He has not led me astray with any of his words of wisdom. Each and every suggestion has born fruit.
I’m looking forward to see how you set up your controller.

When you get everything running right, Your Alloy/Lead to the Desired Temp, and your Mold to it’s perfect Temp. When you Start Casting, make sure and Puddle up a Nice Big Sprue on Top, This makes a BIG difference in Base Fillout.

Like this
c1qn3fd.jpg

Cut the Sprue within a Few Seconds of it Solidifying, DON’T Wait to long! I hear some of you mention 30-45 Seconds, that is WAY WAY WAY to long in my Experience. Quick as you Cut the Sprue, Dump the Bullet, and QUICKLY Re-fill the Mold again.

This process to HIGH Quality Bullets is a Heat, Speed, and Rhythm thing. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, You will get it Down :lewis:
vXlMhS0.jpg

After the Sprue has been Cut, you will find a PERFECTLY Filled Out, RAZOR SHARP Bullet Base like this. Without the Need for Compression
1Qwbcw7.jpg

Simply Put, By following my Content here, You can’t make a Nicer Bullet. ”Mirrors of the Mold”
qP2E40x.jpg

This was a Small, Quick Run of my New #50-415i Bullet to test in my Soon to be 1-24 Twist RICE Barrel. My Keep Rate was 100% here :lewis: All 22 Bullets Weigh 429.5 to 429.8
Z7twMHU.jpg
Real nice Idaho!! Another thing I do with real big slugs is when casting I keep dumping lead into the mold so it just keeps running so it's pushing the molten lead down in then I leave a large puddle like yours on top helps fill out pretty well.

LOL “ from the Lewis the Master Caster” from LR. I might add Master Caster & Blaster.😁
What type of K thermal couple did you get? Mine I removed the crimped on threaded end exposing the bare end of the thermal coupling.
I don’t have IL’s knowledge , craftsmanship and long experiences of bullet casting. And man has he been ever so helpful as our forum knows.
My own early casting ; middle 70’s, amounted to gathering anything that was called “lead” heating til liquid and pouring. Wrinkles,,,NP. 58 minies and 44 rb. Civil war type stuff.
PID. So anything that takes one variable out of the equation has to help.
The thermostats on the Lee pots being metallic type have a wider temperature deviation I found. The PID is spot on.

We might have to make this a new post. I’ll start one

LOL “ from the Lewis the Master Caster” from LR. I might add Master Caster & Blaster.😁
What type of K thermal couple did you get? Mine I removed the crimped on threaded end exposing the bare end of the thermal coupling.
I don’t have IL’s knowledge , craftsmanship and long experiences of bullet casting. And man has he been ever so helpful as our forum knows.
My own early casting ; middle 70’s, amounted to gathering anything that was called “lead” heating til liquid and pouring. Wrinkles,,,NP. 58 minies and 44 rb. Civil war type stuff.
PID. So anything that takes one variable out of the equation has to help.
The thermostats on the Lee pots being metallic type have a wider temperature deviation I found. The PID is spot on.

We might have to make this a new post. I’ll start one

I ordered the 6” one so that I can get right to the bottom of the Lee pot near the drain on the bottom.
81D11851-CD72-4C7D-B6C7-CE97906FE092.png
I use a simple flat strap with a hole through it to attach the TC and then used a “C” clamp to hold it to the back of my small “ Lead Melting Bench “.
I will wait until I find your new thread to post any more about this rather than continue to disrupt the original thread.

I only cast roundball now days and always in the summer months. Also, I cant find GACO lead company.

THANKS Idaho Lewis . I have ben getting lead for free but I am not so sure how pure it all is. Some of the wheel weights are very hard . Those go to jigs and sinkers though.

I have been following this thread and a couple others on casting tips by Lewis. I had been having a little trouble getting consistent weights on my larger bullets and the tips have been a great help! I upped my lead temp to almost 800 degrees and made a LARGE casting ladle to help with getting good compression. There is at least a half ladle full to use for compression when the mold is filled. I ran a little over a hundred bullets today, here are some photos:
P5212958.JPG

P5212959.JPG
P5212960.JPGP5212961.JPGP5212962.JPGP5212964.JPG
P5212965.JPG

The body of the ladle was made from a piece of tractor stabilizer bar, the rest from 1/8" stock. Thanks Lewis!

Curtis

Last edited:
I have been following this thread and a couple others on casting tips by Lewis. I had been having a little trouble getting consistent weights on my larger bullets and the tips have been a great help! I upped my lead temp to almost 800 degrees and made a LARGE casting ladle to help with getting good compression. There is at least a half ladle full to use for compression when the mold is filled. I ran a little over a hundred bullets today, here are some photos:
View attachment 14556

View attachment 14557
View attachment 14558View attachment 14559View attachment 14560View attachment 14561
View attachment 14562

The body of the ladle was made from a piece of tractor stabilizer bar, the rest from 1.8" stock. Thanks Lewis!

Curtis

Those look AWESOME Curtis! :lewis: This Casting is like many other things, The more you do it, the Easier it gets, and the better you get at it. The Casting Tips & Tricks that i have given is in hopes of helping others get well on their way to Casting NICE, HIGH Quality Bullets, There have been several of you guy’s that have benefited from it, That makes my effort here worth it!! :lewis: I look back when i first Started Casting, I made mistake after mistake, I got BADLY discouraged with it, to the point that i nearly gave up on it and Bought Bullets. The good (and sad) Part is, High Quality Cast Bullets are nearly impossible to Buy, And is the reason that i MADE MYSELF stick with it & Learn.

Again, GOOD JOB!! Your Bullets look GREAT!!

P.S. That Bullet looks familiar :)

Latest posts

Back