Another Friday making smoke

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brought my 50 cal v2 pistol? , and shot the 100 yd . Left the renegade home today guys were busy @ the 800 yd so I tried a couple of loads using OE 2F/3F and the 2F won so far with Hornady 250 gr XTP and my Accurate slik 45 paper patched to go in a Harvester 50 cal sabot /the hamburgers were good too IMG_0762[1].JPGIMG_0765[1].JPGIMG_0766[1].JPGIMG_0764[1].JPGIMG_0765[1].JPGIMG_0763[1].JPG

Looking pretty good there.
What scope you have on the carbine?
I been toying with the idea of scoping mine.
I have a Burris Timberline 4x20 scope that was on a slug gun.

Congratulations!

That's good shooting at 100 yards for a carbine created out of a pistol with a 14" barrel. Especially, considering you shot several different loads out of it to make that group.

What mold number is that Accurate Molds .45 caliber, paper patched bullet? That looks real interesting.

Congratulations!

That's good shooting at 100 yards for a carbine created out of a pistol with a 14" barrel. Especially, considering you shot several different loads out of it to make that group.

What mold number is that Accurate Molds .45 caliber, paper patched bullet? That looks real interesting.
yup started with a 490 round ball bear oil soaked .018 mattress as I had a load (5 star) in a16 inch barrel . I did not write down what thickness so I guessed and guessed wrong ! That accurate mold I had Tom make a couple of yrs ago 44-345P .It shoots quite nice in most of my 45 barrels 28/48 but not so much in the 18 twist It uses 9Lb onion skin from BACO and ends up @ 449 . If your interested PM me as I dont use it much anymore . I have enough on the shelf to get by for some time and no waiting 2+ months HA And 1-6 is all the accurate bullet /3 below are 490 round balls

Last edited:
The reason I asked about the mold number for the paper patched bullet that you were shooting was because I am interested in shooting lead conicals out of a sabot in order to obtain a higher ballistic coefficient. I am not necessarily interested in paper patching at this time.

Your bullet, with O.A.L. of 0.930"....

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=44-345P
Bullet I'm interested in, with O.A.L. of 0.830"...

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-350CL
How do you think the above .45 caliber bullet would shoot out of the sabots in the Optima V2 pistol? I want to try and take advantage of the V2 action's ability to handle 400 grain bullets.

I will be shooting them out of my Doc White Javelina stocked Optima V2 pistol/LR Customs MZ REX2 muzzle brake, with a tactical sling across the strong shoulder that is attached to the bottom of the pistol grip with a GrovTec D-ring push button sling swivel. Pistol held in both hands with a push-pull motion, while simultaneously stretching the sling tight against the strong arm's shoulder blade. Thus creating a long modified Weaver stance that can handle the recoil of the biggest loads in the V2 pistol.

In my conversations with MtMonkey he has been shooting very long .40 caliber bullets out of .45 caliber sabots. Those bullets are fairly nose light. I am wondering if the following bullet will work in a .50 caliber sabot?

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-400P

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason I asked about the mold number for the paper patched bullet that you were shooting was because I am interested in shooting lead conicals out of a sabot in order to obtain a higher ballistic coefficient. I am not necessarily interested in paper patching at this time.

Your bullet, with O.A.L. of 0.930"....

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=44-345P
Bullet I'm interested in, with O.A.L. of 0.830"...

https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-350CL
How do you think the above .45 caliber bullet would shoot out of the sabots in the Optima V2 pistol? I want to try and take advantage of the V2 action's ability to handle 400 grain bullets.

I will be shooting them out of my Doc White Javelina stocked Optima V2 pistol/LR Customs MZ REX2 muzzle brake, with a tactical sling across the strong shoulder that is attached to the bottom of the pistol grip with a GrovTec D-ring push button sling swivel. Pistol held in both hands with a push-pull motion, while simultaneously stretching the sling tight against the strong arm's shoulder blade. Thus creating a long modified Weaver stance that can handle the recoil of the biggest loads in the V2 pistol.
Can"t say as I"m a believer in pure /40-1 for hunting and 20-1 for target . I know most sabots handle up to 300 gr which is why even my .400 in the harvester blue sabot stays shy of 300. this one @ 345 is for PP but it works well dimension wise PP ed .I came up with this combo cause I had nothing else and the gun came before the mold and Tom was 2months out on my order so I experimented and it worked rather well . I could kill deer or paper to 100yds anyway ,but now I"m casting the 40 cal I waited for Accurate # 40-290-S and it shoots in the 50 but more important in my 45 LR Renegade . Good luck with your project ,will be lookin for your results/Ed

Last edited:
Can"t say as I"m a believer in pure /40-1 for hunting and 20-1 for target . I know most sabots handle up to 300 gr which is why even my .400 in the harvester blue sabot stays shy of 300. this one @ 345 is for PP but it works well dimension wise PP ed .I came up with this combo cause I had nothing else and the gun came before the mold and Tom was 2months out on my order so I experimented and it worked rather well . I could kill deer or paper to 100yds anyway ,but now I"m casting the 40 cal I waited for Accurate # 40-290-S and it shoots in the 50 but more important in my 45 LR Renegade . Good luck with your project ,will be lookin for your results/Ed
That mold #40-290S looks even more interesting than the paper patched 44-345P bullet does. The BC has to be way up there. Perhaps, that's a better direction to take for the Optima V2 pistol, stay around 300 grains in a .40 caliber lead bullet, with the dark blue Crush Rib sabot.

Did you order the mold with the boat tail base, or a flat base?

That mold #40-290S looks even more interesting than the paper patched 44-345P bullet does. The BC has to be way up there. Perhaps, that's a better direction to take for the Optima V2 pistol, stay around 300 grains in a .40 caliber lead bullet, with the dark blue Crush Rib sabot.

Did you order the mold with the boat tail base, or a flat base?
I ordered it as specified ,it has a minor boattail ,not looking at the list but it is especially designed for sabots . If you want I can send some samples/give address thru PM and yup terrific BC/Ed

I ordered it as specified ,it has a minor boattail ,not looking at the list but it is especially designed for sabots . If you want I can send some samples/give address thru PM and yup terrific BC/Ed
Thanks for the offer. I'll hold off until I get my pistol back from Doc White. He's supposed to be starting the work on the Javelina stocks any day now. Hope to have it by late August, early September.

Back