Another Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is getting ridiculous...
I just bought another TC Hawken, cap lock .50 caliber with a factory barrel AND a Green Mountain ball barrel for $290.
She stock has normal dings, but the bores are VERY nice indeed. Nice tight lock too. This is now my 3rd sidelock. 2nd Hawken.
Apparently sidekicks are quite promiscuous!
I think I may strip the wood, brown the factory barrel and dish the cheek piece to fit better. I might use the ball barrel on my laminate. Ah! Who knows?!
I've told many folk that the muzzleloader bug bites HARD and digs in like a tick. I'm living proof.

This is getting ridiculous...
I just bought another TC Hawken, cap lock .50 caliber with a factory barrel AND a Green Mountain ball barrel for $290.
She stock has normal dings, but the bores are VERY nice indeed. Nice tight lock too. This is now my 3rd sidelock. 2nd Hawken.
Apparently sidekicks are quite promiscuous!
I think I may strip the wood, brown the factory barrel and dish the cheek piece to fit better. I might use the ball barrel on my laminate. Ah! Who knows?!
I've told many folk that the muzzleloader bug bites HARD and digs in like a tick. I'm living proof.

Put a QUALITY Bullet Barrel in one of them Stocks, and get it Properly fitted. It will Shoot WITH ANY inline made ;)

Maybe a quality bullet would be enough. A 1-48 can shoot. I'd prefer a 1-38 though. A proper patch ball is nothing to scoff at either.
A rifle would have to go a long way to beat my Firehawk though.
I do agree that a properly set up sidelock will keep up with anything

Maybe a quality bullet would be enough. A 1-48 can shoot. I'd prefer a 1-38 though. A proper patch ball is nothing to scoff at either.
A rifle would have to go a long way to beat my Firehawk though.
I do agree that a properly set up sidelock will keep up with anything

A 1:48 Can be Reasonably Accurate, But they are NOWHERE near the Same league as a Dedicated Bullet, Roundball Twist Barrel in my Experience. The 1:48 is a Compromise Twist, Designed to Shoot Bullet or Ball, Jack of all trades, and a master of none! I have 1 .54 Cal Hawken Barrel i bought Brand New that Shoots pretty Darn Good, the best Stock 1:48 Twist i have ever Seen. That Said, my Green Mountain LRH .54 Cal 1:28 Twist SPANKS IT, BADLY

Just to help get the little dings out of the stock, you could try the steam method.

A 1:48 Can be Reasonably Accurate, But they are NOWHERE near the Same league as a Dedicated Bullet, Roundball Twist Barrel in my Experience. The 1:48 is a Compromise Twist, Designed to Shoot Bullet or Ball, Jack of all trades, and a master of none! I have 1 .54 Cal Hawken Barrel i bought Brand New that Shoots pretty Darn Good, the best Stock 1:48 Twist i have ever Seen. That Said, my Green Mountain LRH .54 Cal 1:28 Twist SPANKS IT, BADLY
Your guys experience with the fast twist barrels proves they are the way to go... I wish somebody had a bullet formula that showed "best twist" for (ml) bullets.. I think the slower speed of the ML is what messes the formulas up... Coming from a competitive benchrest background, it is known the the slowest twist that will impart stability is usually most accurate.. I plugged a bullet i was using into a common formula & it suggested twist up in the high 50's.. I'll have a fast twist barrel for one of my guns as soon as i can... Just got a laminated stocked 50cal hawken to start with (no more stock cracking).. The barrel is next on the menu...

Last edited:
I have a 1/66 .50 GM barrel and it shoots almost every combination of prb, and powder very accurately. I just picked up a TC Renegade 1/48, first bullet through it was a 385 Great Plains and 70 grains swiss.. Shot those the other day and 2 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with my home made skinner sight. Im sure some portian of the 2 1/2 inches is my fault if not all my fault. I think my guns are more accurate than what I or most shooters can shoot.

Latest posts

Back