Anybody shooting Shuetzen powder??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used it years ago, but found it seemed to have more fouling in my barrels than my loads using goex so i stopped buying it. That is a good price for real BP, especially if it includes the haz mat fee.

shipped,,, hazmat, total price... the guy says he sells twice as much schuetzen than any other powder, (goex,swiss)... he's in texas... if you need any let me know i'll give you the info. I've been wanting to try swiss, since it seems to dominate tournament play.... but its more like $25/lb plus shipping. I'll have some at some point,, because of the reputation.. Thought the schuetzen could be good since its "german".. he says it out performs goex. . One way to find out......

Over the last year, I've been using Swiss 3f powder. Awesome stuff but pricey. Old Ensyford is a comparable powder. A little less expensive.
I used Goex for years though and still have some on hand.

Schutzen is pretty much the same as standard Goex. Both are a bit dirty.

seems to be a good price on it, 10lbs for $225 shipped.. Does it shoot/perform well???
Well, well well,, went to order it and the quote $225 shipped wasn't exactly correct.. It has "tax" _ cc fee + another shipping fee, so its really $269... I hate being BS's like that by anyone! Thats the going rate at other places i checked also so nothing special about "his" price..

The Ancient Ones of Maine have been shooting it for years. The Maine Powder House is a place to check for Goex and Schuetzen.
Nit Wit

Well, well well,, went to order it and the quote $225 shipped wasn't exactly correct.. It has "tax" _ cc fee + another shipping fee, so its really $269... I hate being BS's like that by anyone! Thats the going rate at other places i checked also so nothing special about "his" price..
I was just contacted & waiting for a check to clear, it will come for $225 total price.. so everything is cool again,,, I'll be trying some Schuetzen in a couple weeks hopefully! when i looked just now, Maine powder house still lists schuetzen as a backorder only item but do have goex in stock.. Thanks guys!

I'll add this about Schutzen v Goex or anybody else for that matter.

A group of us in NC are working a project that, if successful, will ultimately create a path to more certified muzzleloading instructors in youth organization shooting sports and thereby making muzzleloading more widely available to youth. We've been at this for a while with a Covid pause but if it weren't for our little band of instructors, the kids at the local camp would not be shooting black powder period. Scouts require NRA certified instructors to run their shooting sports programs and those that are muzzleloading certified are few and far between and of those who are certified, they are often not muzzleloading enthusiasts nor are they that well versed in muzzleloading in general. So our little group of North South Skirmish Association muzzleloading competitors who are ALSO certified instructors are a very rare bunch.

So what does this have to do with Schutzen? It's very simple, they DONATE powder and caps to youth shooting sports programs to support kids learning muzzleloading safety, marksmanship and history. They back up their words with their products. Our group would not be able to carry out the amount of instruction we do every week without Schutzen's support for powder and caps. To date, this summer alone, working two summer camps, one day each week at each camp, we've gone through almost 10lbs of powder and about 2k in caps and we have 4 more instructional days left in this summer session. I'll repeat this, in both Scout camps, if we weren't there, those kids would NOT be shooting muzzleloaders due to a lack of certified instructors.

A brief overview how we're set up, Schutzen donates powder and caps. One of our group does speaking engagements on Civil War history and uses his honorariums to purchase lead that we cast into minies and round ball and then make ammunition. One of our N-SSA members donated 5 1863 Remington Contract replica muskets to use. S&S and Lodgewood provide logistic support to keep the muskets operational. We also bring several good quality 50cal round ball guns with us. We start the kids with the round ball guns and move over to muskets. Targets start out as a plain paper plate at 25yd and become more challenging as we work on their marksmanship skills. We usually end with them shooting Ritz crackers hanging on a wire from the offhand position with a Civil War musket and yes, they can connect pretty regular.

So given the choice, I'm liking Schutzen. Not only do their powder and caps work, they support youth programs and kids are the future of shooting sports.

A couple pix from some of our sessions-

Scout leader's daughter who wanted to shoot. She's shooting my 50cal TC carbine and as it turned out, she was a crack shot and best of the entire summer.
IMG_7282.JPG

We work with the Scouts in marksmanship from the offhand position. Here I'm watching the form of this Scout to improve his marksmanship. Note his head is lifted off the stock. Many black powder shooters make this very mistake and blame the gun for the miss when it's their poor technique that's the culprit.
IMG_7140.JPG

One of our group doing a brief history lesson prior to getting to the fun stuff- burning black powder and chucking lead downrange!
IMG_7073.JPG

Same instructor working with a Scout to improve his marksmanship. This posture is common as we work to help correct a Scout's form. In this shot, the instructor's left hand is helping correct the "chicken wing" with the shooters right arm and the instructors right hand is free to quickly take control of the gun if there is a problem. It often takes more than one or two shots to get the fundamentals through.
IMG_7656.JPG

Both of these Scouts have pretty much gotten the fundamentals and we're working on refining their technique for better accuracy offhand.
IMG_7622.JPG

This was during an open shoot when kids could come and get trigger time on a Civil War musket.
IMG_7122.JPG

And yeah, I have ZERO issues in telling the Scouts who is to thank for their being able to pull the trigger as much as we are able to let them.
IMG_0429.jpg

A group of us in NC are working a project that, if successful, will ultimately create a path to more certified muzzleloading instructors in youth organization shooting sports and thereby making muzzleloading more widely available to youth. We've been at this for a while with a Covid pause but if it weren't for our little band of instructors, the kids at the local camp would not be shooting black powder period. Scouts require NRA certified instructors to run their shooting sports programs and those that are muzzleloading certified are few and far between and of those who are certified, they are often not muzzleloading enthusiasts nor are they that well versed in muzzleloading in general. So our little group of North South Skirmish Association muzzleloading competitors who are ALSO certified instructors are a very rare bunch.

So what does this have to do with Schutzen? It's very simple, they DONATE powder and caps to youth shooting sports programs to support kids learning muzzleloading safety, marksmanship and history. They back up their words with their products. Our group would not be able to carry out the amount of instruction we do every week without Schutzen's support for powder and caps. To date, this summer alone, working two summer camps, one day each week at each camp, we've gone through almost 10lbs of powder and about 2k in caps and we have 4 more instructional days left in this summer session. I'll repeat this, in both Scout camps, if we weren't there, those kids would NOT be shooting muzzleloaders due to a lack of certified instructors.

A brief overview how we're set up, Schutzen donates powder and caps. One of our group does speaking engagements on Civil War history and uses his honorariums to purchase lead that we cast into minies and round ball and then make ammunition. One of our N-SSA members donated 5 1863 Remington Contract replica muskets to use. S&S and Lodgewood provide logistic support to keep the muskets operational. We also bring several good quality 50cal round ball guns with us. We start the kids with the round ball guns and move over to muskets. Targets start out as a plain paper plate at 25yd and become more challenging as we work on their marksmanship skills. We usually end with them shooting Ritz crackers hanging on a wire from the offhand position with a Civil War musket and yes, they can connect pretty regular.

So given the choice, I'm liking Schutzen. Not only do their powder and caps work, they support youth programs and kids are the future of shooting sports.

Scout leader's daughter who wanted to shoot. She's shooting my 50cal TC carbine and as it turned out, she was a crack shot and best of the entire summer.
View attachment 15474

We work with the Scouts in marksmanship from the offhand position. Here I'm watching the form of this Scout to improve his marksmanship. Note his head is lifted off the stock. Many black powder shooters make this very mistake and blame the gun for the miss when it's their poor technique that's the culprit.
View attachment 15475

One of our group doing a brief history lesson prior to getting to the fun stuff- burning black powder and chucking lead downrange!
View attachment 15476

Same instructor working with a Scout to improve his marksmanship. This posture is common as we work to help correct a Scout's form. In this shot, the instructor's left hand is helping correct the "chicken wing" with the shooters right arm and the instructors right hand is free to quickly take control of the gun if there is a problem. It often takes more than one or two shots to get the fundamentals through.
View attachment 15477

Both of these Scouts have pretty much gotten the fundamentals and we're working on refining their technique for better accuracy offhand.
View attachment 15478

This was during an open shoot when kids could come and get trigger time on a Civil War musket.
View attachment 15479

And yeah, I have ZERO issues in telling the Scouts who is to thank for their being able to pull the trigger as much as we are able to let them.
View attachment 15480
Thank you for your service to those young shooters and the community at large.

Also I have noticed that the boys (of all ages) are highly motivated to learn to shoot while the girls (of all ages) often outshoot them right from the start... I’m not sure if I can explain it but it’s happened enough to be a real phenomenon in my opinion...

View attachment 15474

View attachment 15475

View attachment 15476

View attachment 15477

View attachment 15478

View attachment 15479

View attachment 15480
Excellent!!! Glad to hear of the program,, Scouting was an important part of my youth! (I am an eagle scout from 1976)... Scouting is one of the few youth organizations that support/allow shooting!! Thanks for your work in this also!!!

Latest posts

Back