anyone form WY?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenman

Reaction score
Looking at heading that way next fall on a solo pronghorn hunt if the good Lord is willing. Cant find anyone local that wants to go so gotta do what I gotta do. I noticed a few units had muzzleloader only tags but a lot of the guaranteed draws have limited access. Don't mind putting in some legwork and have no problem with a doe or honestly even tag soup. Just wanna get my feet wet on a western hunt. Figured I could handle packing out a speedgoat on my own and get used to hunting out there a bit before I go chase after an elk. Be nice to meet some new folks and maybe pick the brains of some guys from around there. I don't have much to offer here in SC but if someone draws a gator tag I can hook you up or wants some info on some greenheads in Arkansas.

I hunt WY antelope every few years. Its nothing like an elk or deer hunt as the terrain is mostly flatish, roads all over the place and packing an antelope is nothing. Antelope hunting is one of the funnest most laid back hunts a guy can do were one gets to see lots of animals and gets plenty of shooting opportunity.
Your right in that most of the units one can draw with zero points are hard to find public land, the trick here is to find a unit with some public land then when applying next year put a hard to draw unit as your first choice and the easy to draw unit as your second. In WY if you don't draw your first choice you get a point so you will probably draw your second choice then get a point which once you build 3 or so points you will be able to draw a better unit. Then come season time go hunt the unit you drew and make the most out of the access you have, chances are you will be able to harvest at least a doe.
You also have until Sept 31 to purchase an antelope point this year for next season draw so you can have at least one point on the books.

Definitely get a preference point for this year. Lots of good units you can draw with one point. I hunted does in a unit last year that was 100% draw with one point, and had multiple opportunities at nice bucks. I had already filled my buck tag in another unit. Shoot me a PM, I’d be happy to discuss it with you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a point this year. I read to do exactly what you said. Put hard to draw as no 1. Still have a chance, just not very good. Then either draw the 2nd or 3rd choice and maybe try to pic up a leftover tag somewhere. I'm fine with a doe and honestly tag soup. We don't always get a trophy the first time right? I just wanna get my feet wet and I figured a goat hunt would be the easiest to do and safest to do on my own.

50bowhunter said:
Definitely get a preference point for this year. Lots of good units you can draw with one point. I hunted does in a unit last year that was 100% draw with one point, and had multiple opportunities at nice bucks. I had already filled my buck tag in another unit. Shoot me a PM, I’d be happy to discuss it with you

Would love to pick the brain of folks that have done it. Ive researched a few units. Long drive from SC

phoenman said:
50bowhunter said:

Would love to pick the brain of folks that have done it. Ive researched a few units. Long drive from SC

Yup, I did it from Virginia. The drive out was fine, that drive home is looooong. We drew a unit with one point with the special tag. I killed this buck 40 minuets into the hunt.
9ba88c6a7d3e11117fcdd9d90de4356a.jpg

Latest posts

Back