Anyone had a "trigger job" done on their Triumph?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I may have asked this awhile back but was wondering since some time has past if anyone's had this done? From what I remember the Triumph trigger assy is somewhat of a nightmare and requires a bit of skill to disassemble and reassemble. Mine breaks around 4 pounds or so if I recall, and since I have to cock the hammer to fire, I'd like it a bit lighter if possible. At least I'd like to be able to have the surfaces polished. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Update -

While I'm waiting for a response from T/C, I sent an email to Shots Gunsmith and got this response from Jim Hendershot:

"Tim: Sorry to say no. It takes special jigs just to put the parts into the frame...factory only... The spring are all ?Torsion Wound? type, and there is nothing that can be done to make it better. Even the factory can not make it lighter or smother. Sorry...some day someone may come up with a ficture so we can work on them, and some aftermarket springs to lighten the pull...but for now...nothing can be done".

Bummer . . . about the only thing I can see to do is dab some JB Bore paste where the sear catches the hammer and dry fire the heck put of it and then flush it out but I'm not sure if that would help.

I wanted to loosen up my trigger on my cva and didn't want to send it in so I did what we used to do in the military to loosen up the m16. First I would run some hot boiling water threw the trigger assembly then let it sit for a few seconds. The boiling water will heat up the assemble making the pores in the metal open up. Once it sets for a few seconds spray the heck out of the trigger assembly with Rem Oil and let it set for a while. Then go back and wipe everything off. If you want you can repeat the process for a couple more times.

The reason I tell you to try to heat up the trigger assembly is because when the pores are open and when you spray the Rem Oil in there it will suck up all that oil and store it in the metal. Then when it cools it will have a lot of the oil stored up and still act as a lubicrant.

You would be amazed at how much it loosen things up. We did this on our M16 because we are on the Army's shooting team and they wouldn't let us have someone adjust our triggers either so this was our next best thing to doing so. It worked and we had a lot of fun.

Either way hope this helps and if you want you could probably do the jb paste also and then run the hot water process threw there it might make it even more loose. Just a thought.

River Rat

Thanks River Rat, actually I do something similar on any new rifle. I poured boiling water down the bore to remove the oil and fines, and then swab with JB Bore paste for awhile, then rinse with more boiling water to flush it out.

Maybe I pour boiling water where the sear catches the hammer, then JB paste it up and dry fire the heck out of it, flush with boiling water and then spray with soime Rem-oil.

I just ordered a trigger pull gauge so I should be able to record a before and after - we'll see how it goes.

tpcollins said:
Thanks River Rat, actually I do something similar on any new rifle. I poured boiling water down the bore to remove the oil and fines, and then swab with JB Bore paste for awhile, then rinse with more boiling water to flush it out.

Maybe I pour boiling water where the sear catches the hammer, then JB paste it up and dry fire the heck out of it, flush with boiling water and then spray with soime Rem-oil.

I just ordered a trigger pull gauge so I should be able to record a before and after - we'll see how it goes.

If you don't get a chance to post your findings here post it on Dougs Message Board I would like to see the difference. I know I did it to my CVA Optima Elite and my brother in law was shocked how easy it was to pull the trigger, it actually scared him.

Keep us in the loop!

River Rat

I finally got a response from TC today:

"Unfortunately there is not an adjustment on that trigger. I agree with you, the lube may only smoothen the action. If you were to have a gunsmith alter the trigger it would void the warranty. You may want to just lubricate. Thank You".

That's not exactly the response I was hoping for but there it is. I have a trigger pull gauge on it's way and I'll check before and after the "River Rat treatment" and see what happens.

I'm almost dissatisified to the point of selling it and getting something that I can work on the trigger - we'll see.

Let us know how it turns out. I have a very nice trigger on my Triumph.

Latest posts

Back