Anyone have any interesting or funny shooting stories?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love hearing people share their shooting or hunting stories. So I thought I'd share one of my own and start a thread, so as to hear others tell theirs.

When I was 15, me and my dad went to the WV National hunting and fishing days event. It was held at a state park and had a satellite area at a range where you could try out some guns, watch exhibition shooters, etc. They had a fundraiser going on there. You could pay $1 a shot or 6 shots for $5 with a target .22lr offhand at 25yds, closest to a perfect bullseye won (bullseye was about the size of a .22lr hole). It was a fundraiser put on by the West Virginia University rifle team so it was using one of their high dollar competition rifles. Shots were unlimited so long as you kept paying to shoot. I was in second place after my first set of shots (I was 15 and it was mostly against grown men and women) and as we were watching other people shoot, my dad asked if I could do better if I shot another set of shots. I lied and said I thought I could (I didnt really think I could, I just wanted to shoot more). So after my second set, I did better and was in first place. I remember a couple people spent over $100 trying to beat me. They didnt, and I won first place and got a really nice burris scope that is still on my .30-06 to this day. One of my favorite memories from my youth. I basically just got lucky to win but I loved that feeling of competing. Any of you guys have any cool shooting stories?

I love hearing people share their shooting or hunting stories. So I thought I'd share one of my own and start a thread, so as to hear others tell theirs.

When I was 15, me and my dad went to the WV National hunting and fishing days event. It was held at a state park and had a satellite area at a range where you could try out some guns, watch exhibition shooters, etc. They had a fundraiser going on there. You could pay $1 a shot or 6 shots for $5 with a target .22lr offhand at 25yds, closest to a perfect bullseye won (bullseye was about the size of a .22lr hole). It was a fundraiser put on by the West Virginia University rifle team so it was using one of their high dollar competition rifles. Shots were unlimited so long as you kept paying to shoot. I was in second place after my first set of shots (I was 15 and it was mostly against grown men and women) and as we were watching other people shoot, my dad asked if I could do better if I shot another set of shots. I lied and said I thought I could (I didnt really think I could, I just wanted to shoot more). So after my second set, I did better and was in first place. I remember a couple people spent over $100 trying to beat me. They didnt, and I won first place and got a really nice burris scope that is still on my .30-06 to this day. One of my favorite memories from my youth. I basically just got lucky to win but I loved that feeling of competing. Any of you guys have any cool shooting stories?
heres a funny story and i swear its true.i was hunting with my friend"stink" a trapper.lol who has a guide business calling jakes in the spring and i waited several seasons to get my turn with him calling me a bird
the day we went i had a friend "cratchet"
from philly who tagged along.he wasnt much of a hunter but i didnt have the heart to not let him tag along.
we put him at the bottom of a hill and my partner and i went up on top about 400 yds above cratchet. after "stink" started calling we heard a few replies but none close yet. after about 10 mins we heard this awful wailing of an animal.
stink and i just looked at each other asking wth is that?
we had no clue but it seemed like it was getting closer coming up the hill.with the poor animal wailing like someone was torturing it we said we'd better find out whats happening
so we started down the hill toward the wailing when finally we saw cratchet and discovered what the hell was wailing so loud. here he is holding a 30 lb bear cub yelling"hey fellas look what i caught"
now stink got mad. i mean shoot to kill mad. he yelled"you drop that #%#@&ing bear right now or i swear i'm going to shoot you."
we dont know why the mother bear wasnt tearing cratchet up. we never saw her. maybe she had been hit by a car or got sick. we dont know. but after 5 min of threatening to kill cratchet he put the bear down and it ran up a tree. we got the hell out of there too. stink told me "dont you ever bring that son of a ***** hunting with me again. never!! i waited several years to get my chance of stink calling me a gobbler and cratchet ruined that in 15 min.never took cratchet hunting again.lol

Last edited:
About 30 years ago, I was bowhunting a property along the Connecticut coast. Late in the morning I could hear the sound of an old airplane approaching from the south, from over the water.
As the sound got louder, I was looking up at the sky to see what it was. To my amazement, 3 old planes flying in formation right over my head. All of them had the distinct red rising sun on their wings. Holy crap, Japanese Zeros!
I never did find out about what they were doing flying around over Connecticut but it was pretty cool to witness.

Back