Anyone living near a SHEELS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People cant ship powders as far as i know. Hazmat regs are pretty strict about that for private sales. You need to have Hazmat certification in order to ship it and a contract with the carrier. USPS wont ship powders at all from what ive been told. So i suggest you contact UPS and Fedex to verify what would be required.

What state do you live in? I have a Scheels near me and if you can figure out the shipping I'd be willing to help.

Better find out what powder first. Our Scheels has only T7 and Pyrodex Both pellets and loose. But that's it. No BH209 or any black powders.

People cant ship powders as far as i know. Hazmat regs are pretty strict about that for private sales. You need to have Hazmat certification in order to ship it and a contract with the carrier. USPS wont ship powders at all from what ive been told. So i suggest you contact UPS and Fedex to verify what would be required.
Thank you for your help & insight. Much appreciated. I'm certainly not lookin to do anything even close to illegal. If theres any legal issues that would keep me selling you powder I'm not gonna cross them. I see ppl selling powder & partial cans of BH 209 to each other, what would make this any different? I will contact local USPS & UPS to see what I can do & what it will cost.

What state do you live in? I have a Scheels near me and if you can figure out the shipping I'd be willing to help.
Thank you for your offer. Much appreciated. I'm in north florida. I've had UPS deliver powder here a cpl times in the last cpl yrs, I dont know why this time would be different. BUt I have not looked into it or considered it. And I should.

Thank you for your offer. Much appreciated. I'm in north florida. I've had UPS deliver powder here a cpl times in the last cpl yrs, I dont know why this time would be different. BUt I have not looked into it or considered it. And I should.
UPS delivers powder all the time, but only from legit HazMat shippers. It’s ridiculous but it is what it is.

UPS delivers powder all the time, but only from legit HazMat shippers. It’s ridiculous but it is what it is.
OH, thats how they do it huh. Only from a Hazmat shipper, Joe citizen cant ship it. Not surprising there. Well that hoses me then. It was a good plan for a sec or two. Thanks again for the inside skinny.

What powder you looking for? It’s good to have alternatives in mind.

Put alerts on sites that allow, even back order if able. Some have been buying directly from Hodgdon, don’t know stock myself.

I can usually do ok with powder, bullets, & brass, in my travels. Running low on primers is still a biggie, hard to find at a reasonable price.

What powder you looking for? It’s good to have alternatives in mind.

Put alerts on sites that allow, even back order if able. Some have been buying directly from Hodgdon, don’t know stock myself.

I can usually do ok with powder, bullets, & brass, in my travels. Running low on primers is still a biggie, hard to find at a reasonable price.
I saw that Sheels has N120 in 2lb bottles. Its been super hard to find. A member picked me up a bottle that is comin to my area in a cpl months so no shipping issues. I really need H4198 & H 4895 too. OH, & like many, I really need BH 209. Yes primers are a prob to find now in # 11, 209 & CCI BR-2 LRP's if I can find them they are now 4-5x the price they were a yr or 2 ago. The only place with over an hr drive from me only had Black MZ 209's & he broke the box down into sammich bags of 50 & was chargin 8.00 per 50. I walked out tight lipped before some bad things came flyin out my trap. This yr no BH 209, not even to local Wallymarts in my town or even the next one over either. None close enough for me to be able to get to. North Florida really sucks for muzzleloading supplies. Thanks for your reply.

I know me as well as all of you try to be helpful but I would make sure that what you are shipping is legal because you will be the one to take the fall
Good point. It was brought into light in this thread that powder/hazmat items can only be shipped by licensed hazmat authorized shippers. No - avg Joe to avg Joe shipping for anything hazmat. I'm sure as hell not lookin to do federal time any more than anyone else. When I posted this, I had no idea that it wasn't permitted for us to legally ship powder or primers to each other even through a licensed hazmat shipper.

Scheels might order powder from another Scheels to have it delivered between stores, but Scheels will not send powder to a customer. Scheels doing so would still have to abided by the hazmat rules, even between stores, so I doubt that they'd do so without charging the hazmat fee back to the customer if they shipped at all. I located primers in another Scheels and ask my hometown Scheels to order them and have them delivered to my local store for me and all they did was smile at me. No go.

I'm in the local store a couple times a week and know a couple of the employees who work the gun/reloading/ammunition department, and both have pretty much said that the first thing that will go from the stores if things tighten up much more will be powder and primers. Both have said that the pre-packaged bullets and pellets are what is likely to be stocked since loose powder is a liability in today's wonderful social climate.... some fool makes a bomb using it and the liability can come straight back to the store. I argued that once the powder is sold, the buyer assumes liability and they agreed except that buying on-line and having it delivered removes any of the control that the store itself may have over the sale. People do lie you know.

I don't like what is happening to our sport any more than the next guy but until we as a country develop a plan to control the criminals in a way that radically discourages their anti-social behavior [think Hank on Chicago cops and how he has a way to make these idiots just disappear], nothing is going to get any better. Today's slap-on-the-wrist courts are not addressing the problems appropriately. All of this crap, then, affects your and my ability to get the stuff we need to enjoy our sport. Want powder? You may find it easier to just drive to it. Plan to drive a long way.

Latest posts

Back