Anyone Purchased a New Cell Phone Lately?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
I dropped my old, (3+ years), cell phone several hours ago, cracking the glass screen badly, as well as the battery cover. Electricians tape now rules the day!!

I was due for a new phone anyway, but was planning on waiting until next month.

C'est la vie!!!

My current phone is a Samsung. Could not begin to tell you which model. 3G LTE version, I believe.

I am pretty basic when it comes to phones. Don't text much, limited e-mails, rarely use the camera. Have never used the flashlight.

Although with folks here wanting images of the finished Optima V2 pistol after DOC White fits his Javelina stocks to it, and LR Customs fits a MZ-REX 2 muzzle brake to it; I guess I am going to have to become PHOTO LITERATE, as far as cell phones are concerned.

I guess I can't be a Luddite forever.

Any suggestions as to a new phone will be greatly appreciated.

I know they are quite capable of excellent images in the hands of a good photographer, just look at Idaholewis's bullet images; as well as the images of many other members.

Thanks

Just my 2¢...…………………… I've always had Android phones and got buy with them.

However...….. I switched to an iPhone last summer, I believe its the 7+ (larger screen than the 7).
After having an iPhone, I won't go back to Android.

It takes excellent photos, easy for us old guys to text, I use the Facetime feature from time to time and its just easier... for me... to use.
I wear hearing aids and have for 15yrs. It was always hard to understand what folks were saying with my old Android phones. Maybe they've changed. However, this new iPhone has the ability to play directly through my hearing aids and the ability to understand conversation is nothing short of excellent.
As I understand it, with iPhone you get software updates with all their phones. With Android phones, if I understand it correctly updates last as long as the model phone is supported.

Im just the opposite. I switched from an iphone a few years ago and cant be happier. My wife just got a new iphone 10 and loves it. I got an LG thinQ something. I eel like there are more apps and options and stuff i can do on my android then my wifes iphone. I also got a Samsung android tab4 thats pretty nice. Android tabs are way less expensive than ipads. Had to buy her a new ipad cuz her old one wasnt supported any more.

Just my 2¢...…………………… I've always had Android phones and got buy with them.

However...….. I switched to an iPhone last summer, I believe its the 7+ (larger screen than the 7).
After having an iPhone, I won't go back to Android.

It takes excellent photos, easy for us old guys to text, I use the Facetime feature from time to time and its just easier... for me... to use.
I wear hearing aids and have for 15yrs. It was always hard to understand what folks were saying with my old Android phones. Maybe they've changed. However, this new iPhone has the ability to play directly through my hearing aids and the ability to understand conversation is nothing short of excellent.
As I understand it, with iPhone you get software updates with all their phones. With Android phones, if I understand it correctly updates last as long as the model phone is supported.

ENCORE50A
This phone is an Android, and I too have difficulty hearing conversations without ear buds in. Regardless of having the volume control all the way up, and the speaker phone on.

And, forget about using it in a moving vehicle, transit bus, or outdoors without the buds in.

ENCORE50A
This phone is an Android, and I too have difficulty hearing conversations without ear buds in. Regardless of having the volume control all the way up, and the speaker phone on.

And, forget about using it in a moving vehicle, transit bus, or outdoors without the buds in.
Not being able to ....... UNDERSTAND..... is a pain. Hearing something and understanding it are two different things. My wife even went to a class to help HER realize the difference. Imagine that? :)

These hearing aids I have are Signia Nx5 series. They work wirelessly to my hearing aids, so no buds involved when using the iPhone. With my iPhone I can actually control my own directional hearing with my hearing aids. I used to have a terrible time understanding people while on the cell phone, not so much anymore. Maybe its just the advancement from one platform to another, or one set of software over another but, many times now I just have the phone speaker set in conversations. For me, its that much better than my Android phones.
I've lost all most all ability to hear voices in the left ear. That range is gone forever.

I myself have always brought Android phones, but I changed from Verizon to AT&T about a year ago and got two free iPhone 7's. I don't know why I ever got Androids even these older iPhone are better than any Android I ever had, except for the cameras.

Go 🍎.

for the most part android devices security updates stop after 2 years, iphone 5 years, so there is that. i just run unlocked 2 to 3 year old android devices with a custom rom so i have the latest version of android.

Had an iPhone work phone and hated it. Always been an android user and apparently always will be.
I just bought a Samsung s8 Active and could not be more pleased!

I have a really good S9 Samsung with Verizon service. My wife is an S6 iphone user. Always be nice to have stronger signal but a lot depends on how close one is to the towers.

Bruce, you just asked the proverbial “GM? Ford?” question. I have an iPhone 8 that I love! I have an Android tablet and I absolutely HATE that thing it was free or I never would even own it. Way rather use my iPad than that. IMO Apple is way easier to navigate. My wife was an LG girl until she finally got an iPhone. She loves hers too...

I'm still using a 7 year old iPhone 5s. Still works great, though it won't load the new operating system (iOS 13 and beyond). However, Apple still puts out updates & security patches for iOS 12. About 2 years ago I took it to a Batteries & Bulbs Plus store and got the battery replaced for $70, and that battery is just now starting to run short enough that I'm finally thinking of upgrading.

The new 2020 iPhone SE is $400 trimmed out the way I want it. They're advertising 10-12 hours of continuous video streaming on one charge on the new battery, which means I might get a few days of talk/text/minimal data use if I can use the same kinds of power management hacks I've been using with my iPhone 5s. Definitely getting a Magpul Bump case (the ones for iPhone 7 & 8 reportedly fit), charging port dust plug, and an adhesive tempered glass "sacrificial" type screen protector. I've found that setup to work very well for pocket carry - so well, in fact, that I won't buy a phone model unless Magpul makes a Bump case for it.

I play with a lot of technology, but when it comes to the phone in my pocket, I want simple/reliable/tough, because I don't care to have to get to know a new one very often. Anything else is gravy - the meat & potatoes to me is reliability, sending/receiving sound clarity, durability, battery life, and not costing more than $500 tops. Pocket tech is cool, but I have other things I like to spend my money on.

Last edited:
Bruce, you just asked the proverbial “GM? Ford?” question. I have an iPhone 8 that I love! I have an Android tablet and I absolutely HATE that thing it was free or I never would even own it. Way rather use my iPad than that. IMO Apple is way easier to navigate. My wife was an LG girl until she finally got an iPhone. She loves hers too...
To me, it's not so much "GM vs. Ford" as "Subaru vs. Kia" - and I say that while acknowledging that Samsung has made the same kinds of leaps to catch up to Apple as Kia has made to catch up to... well... SOMEONE reputable, anyway. For both the cars and the phones, they both make great stuff - just for people with different expectations.

I'm the same way love my iPhone7 and hate the Android tablet that I got from Verizon.

My preference is to go with a standard choice as much as possible in all aspects of life. In general Apple devices are all made to work ONLY within the the Apple family and deliberately setup to make connection with non-Apple devices difficult. Apple desktop, laptop, phone, watch will all talk and share info easily. The other devices, the whole world, android by ALL makers and ALL makers of laptops with windows ALL are plug and play comparable. For instance, I can take a cable from my Samsung android phone and transfer 2000 photos to my computer for storage and email. I avoid Apple due to that incompatibility.

As for camera it has nothing to do with Android software. The camera is only based of who made the phone and what model. And you have thousands of models from dozens(+) of makers to choose from. And those thousands of options are all comparable with the rest of the non-Apple world. Blue tooth and hearing aids compatible, it is up to those companies to incorporate the universal standards AND OR the special and unique Apple protocols.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back