Anyone shoot BH209 in their White?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Generally it is not recommended in a plunger gun like the ultra mag. The Thunderbolt is the only White that I would use it in.

Mainly, yes. I have to admit that, due to not having any interest in using BH 209, I haven't researched this fully. I'm just going by what I've read about the 209 primers fragmenting and becoming projectiles going towards the shooter's face.

Not recommended unless you have a thunderbolt. That powder works just fine in my tbolt

I use it in my Thunderbolt but none of my white tails

As a matter of fact YES !!! I HAVE !!! Read my post "A few new ideas" , my first on DWB's here . Also pa Marshals post "breach plug grease" in inline muzzleloading . Its a Good Idea to lap in your breech plug with blackhorn , DONT SKIP THIS !!! Its Safe and it Works !!! It also is NOT a fast reload . Make sure your aim is true . Ive shot repeatedly with just over 120grV out of a 410 with NO ISSUES !!! (Max load for the 410 is 100gr of black or pyrodex p as stated by White ) .My Knight bk-92 also ( a budget version of the mk--85 ) .It CAN be done , Safely , out of a plunger gun WITH THAT NIPPLE . Comvient or fast reloading it is NOT !!! That nipple by the way will handle over 200gr of black out of a REALLY BIG BORE Sidelock pushing bowling balls or conicals . It will take it .

Last edited:
Sideshow maybe do a video of you shooting 120 gr BH209 by volume out of your White and put detailed description in it showing what you've done to your White.. 120 gr by volume of BH209 would be very dangerous in a regular plunger style gun so if your going to recommend it might be best to show what you mean.

Sideshow maybe do a video of you shooting 120 gr BH209 by volume out of your White and put detailed description in it showing what you've done to your White.. 120 gr by volume of BH209 would be very dangerous in a regular plunger style gun so if your going to recommend it might be best to show what you mean.

Can't wait to watch it.... :thumb:

It is damn hot in a 410 !!! I didnt recomend that load . Lets be CLEAR on THAT !!!!! It IS a overload , i realize that and so do you . I TOLD you that !!! I'll see what i can do on a video . Computer genius i am not nor a movie maker !!!
I DIDNT go so far as to say i RECOMEND that load , that is MY Choice based on many years of engineering . Really .....?? I DO recomend the comversion nipples for sidelocks IF you REALLY want to shoot blackhorn in a plunger gun . There are comprimises you must be willing to accept . Ease of loading the primer is principle . Its NOT easy . Do you know what nipples im talking about ?? The mag--spark or the Pendersoli ?? Look them up and consider the option . My use was an example showing it will work . Lets not twist that .

Still like to see 120 gr by volume of BH209 shot in a White, not twisting anything just asking you to show us a video of it being done, especially would like to see it done in a BK-92 of which Ive owned a bunch of and there's no way on this planet I would even try it or consider it. You say you've done it repeatedly so it would greatly benefit all of us to see a video of it being done and a short tutorial on how its done to ensure we do it safely!

Still like to see 120 gr by volume of BH209 shot in a White, not twisting anything just asking you to show us a video of it being done, especially would like to see it done in a BK-92 of which Ive owned a bunch of and there's no way on this planet I would even try it or consider it. You say you've done it repeatedly so it would greatly benefit all of us to see a video of it being done and a short tutorial on how its done to ensure we do it safely!
The Whites are heavy tank tough so the recoil isnt that bad IMO . The nipple and lapping in the plug make it possible to ignite and seal it with the barrel . It is NOT a White breech plug , 5/8 x 18 , and has a lehigh vent liner . I use permatex thread sealant with ptfe(teflon) to seal the threads as well .The bore is sealed by a 410 shotgun wad trimmed and used as a sabot with a 330gr home made bullet of .388 diameter . I compress the powder and the bullet to 75lbs . I use Federal primers . My actual powder load is weighed @ 85 gr or if you prefer 120gr by volume , close enough . Its under MOA @ 200yds and its FLAT . Its earned its name of "Mighty Whitey" . Thats 1 load . A .002" oversized conical load of 400 gr or more will be developed as well . I know i cant make it nearly that hot . Bullet wont take it . The 410 is 1 in 16 twist . It too will be a blackhorn load . I can thank Busta and GM54--120 for that tech !!!!!

The knight bk--92 is FAR FROM A STOCK PRODUCTION RIFLE . Its held in the stock with 2 bolts and a oversize lug . Its pillar bedded and epoxy beded too with the Rem uml fluted barrel and harrels precision radial sabot brake machined to look like a civil war 6 pounder cannons barrel bussiness end , and It is free floated . The stock has been reshaped and is extremely straight and classic as in center fire rifle shape(A--Bolt) . Its tiger stripe maple and LIGHT . Its fitted with a kick eze safari magnum recoil pad . I think its 1 3/4 " thick ??? Total weight military scoped is just under 7 lbs . Its been designed for heavy recoil to handle it well . The plunger has been shortened and lightened a bit . The Pendersoli sidelock conversion nipple is screwed into a knight bp ,5/8 x 18 , with a vent liner too. The flame channel is 5/32 . It is lapped in as well . Same bp sealant too . Its load is 140gr Volume of blackhorn with a 275gr bullet . Yes it kicks like a Missouri Mule and Rocks a Deers World , straight back too . Its not for the faint of heart as it WILL clear your sinuses Every Time you shoot it . And tbats WITH a brake . I happen to like that personally . Your opinion will no doubt be different if you shot it .

I didnt farm the work done out either .

I happen to enjoy heavy recoil . Most do not . I didnt offer HOW to use blackhorn in a plunger gun to have it turn into all this . It never was the point . The conversion nipple for sidelocks IS THE POINT . That is HOW YOU DO IT FOR A PLUNGER GUN TO USE BLACKHORN IN IT . Works for a BIG BORED sidelocks with with really stout loads dont it ??? Whats the difference ??? Easier access is the ONLY THING .

If you were honest youd no doubt NEVER shoot what i do as far as a load of blackhorn goes in a gun that light . Ive worked hard to develope these loads for ME . Not for anybody else . I figured them out . I dont recomend them either . I dont ask anybody to prove it on film with the answers im given here . Hell i have no idea how to do that filming much less how to post it !!! I take what is said here as advice . I reason it out and if i can agree with it , it makes sense ill try it . Nobody knows different . Why dont you boys do the same..... .. If i ever do figure out how to do a video and post it youll see it here , .......just because ........

Last edited:
please post pictures of your modified White and LK-93 we would really like to see them and your modified breech plugs even if you cant figure out how to do a video pictures are fairly easy to figure out. If you cant figure out the pics either email them to one of us and we will gladly do it for you.

I don't have a BK, or a White (yet) and never saw one in person. Do you use this in it with a scope? If so how in the world do you get in there to unscrew it?
I looked at it but to me that thing would be hard to access in an MK or LK with a scope in it. It looks like the only reasonably safe way to shoot BH in a Plunger gun. For me it just looks like too much trouble to save on cleaning. Just to shoot on the bench it would be ok, but can't see it in the field. Just my 2cents.

upload_2019-11-24_8-20-17.jpeg

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Davide-Pedersoli-Primer-Nipple-Conversion-Kit/1608590.uts

I don't have a BK, or a White (yet) and never saw one in person. Do you use this in it with a scope? If so how in the world do you get in there to unscrew it?
I looked at it but to me that thing would be hard to access in an MK or LK with a scope in it. It looks like the only reasonably safe way to shoot BH in a Plunger gun. For me it just looks like too much trouble to save on cleaning. Just to shoot on the bench it would be ok, but can't see it in the field. Just my 2cents.

View attachment 6243

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Davide-Pedersoli-Primer-Nipple-Conversion-Kit/1608590.uts

I have a Magspark that looks very similar to this Pedersoli, They both do the same thing. Back when I bought the Magspark i had plans of Trying it in my 1:18 Twist Sidelock with BH209, But after some discussion about it on here, You fella’s STRONGLY advised against it, and i Took Your Advice :lewis: I use the Magspark as part of a Cold Clean Bore, Fouling, Sidelock prep for Hunting.

I personally couldn’t imagine using one of these contraptions in a Plunger Gun, It would be a NIGHTMARE to say the least! At least with mine it would be. After a VERY SMALL amount of use the 209s Begin to Stick in it, i have to pick them out, I use a DULL Box cutter Razor to Pry/pluck them out. Now imagine trying to Unscrew the Top half of the Magspark/Pedersoli unit while in a Plunger Gun, And then plucking a Stuck 209 Primer out? I’m NOT saying it couldn’t be done, but i Wouldn’t want ANY PART of it!

Other than having a custom bp with threads like a quick release plug on some of the newer break open guns to hold the primer in this is the ONLY sensible(thats funny) option . You also need qr rings for the scope . It IS A PITA X 1000 !!! BUT with an old design to preform like a NEW mz its the only answer ive found for my needs in farmland hunting . I like the really long shots WITH easy authority on arrival . It makes it MUCH easier for ME to do it . Fairly FLAT is WONDERFUL without all kinds of stuff hitting my eyes . My right eye has already been comprimised due to a mild stroke 2 1/2 yrs ago . The retina tore and detached .
My buddy Marc just gave me a 50 knight disc so things will be getting easier for me . Kinda wish it was a 45 but who can really complain , not me for sure !!! Nope it wont stay factory stock either . Bestill plug and a new bolt is in the plans , along with a brake .
I dont want to abandon my White or the BK but i know changes are coming for me . Really wish that super 91 had a bolt too . Same with the BK . Kinda hate the outlook truthfully.....

Back