Anyone Try Hornady Bore Drivers, Federal Bor Locks With Smokeless

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wondering if any of you out there have tried these two bullets with smokeless loads? My dad gave me a bunch of both. He moved to FL and doesn't plan on doing anymore hunting (hope he changes his mind next season). I am guessing the bases (probably similar to Powerbelts) that are used for both of these bullets don't hold up with smokeless powder but I couldn't find anything in my internet search.

Wakeman tried borelocks with Blackhorn and posted the video.... All bloopers.

Edit to add: Rifle was a Remington 700 MLS I sent him to evaluate our 209 conversion (with sabots and Blackhorn209) He decided to play with bore-loc MZ first & Of course he had zero issues with sabots Blackhorn and our kit... But bloopers with bor loc MZ

Last edited:
I see this was tested with Blackhorn. I am wondering how the bor locks do with smokeless. I have a bunch of them and will do some testing this weekend with some reduced loads of 5744. My guess is the pressure will be too great for the accuracy to be all that good at 100 yards. I have shot them out of my BP muzzleloaders and gotten decent results. I have even taken a couple of deer with them, but they still haven't performed as well as my favorite bullet (Barnes 300gr Original Spitzer). The Barnes has been my go-to bullet for smokeless and BP rifles. My daughter does shoot a couple 50gr pellets of 777 with a powerbelt platinum out of her Traditions youth Buckstalker. It has been extremely consistent and much easier to load for her (14 yrs old). She is yet to take a deer with that combo yet however- she has far less time to hunt than I do.

Last edited:
I see that you shot these at 50 yrds? Did you try shooting a group at 100yrds? I also notice you used a fairly low level of N120. Did you Chrono any of the shots?

I did not run it through the chrony.

Only shot at 50 yards. Generally, you can double the size of the 50 yard group to get an estimate of the 100 yard group.

I need to do some more testing with these bullets.

Back