Anyone use 420NE in an Accura V2?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1874sharpsshooter,

If you read what Western Powders is actually saying.

It's not that they don't recommend shooting lead conicals, it's that they don't have any recommended loads for shooting lead conicals, because they have never jumped in with both feet.

With your logic, I guess we better scold ourselves for ANY loads we have ever shot out of our .45 calibers with Blackhorn 209 for the last 11+ years, since Western Powders has NEVER published any recommended loads for .45 calibers?

*****NEWSFLASH***** Lack of published .45 caliber Blackhorn 209 recommended loads from Western Powders, SHUTS DOWN ALL INLINE MATCHES AT FRIENDSHIP, INDIANA!!!

The only .45 caliber rifle that can compete is the CVA Paramount, since they are the only ones with approved Blackhorn 209 recommended loads from both CVA and Western Powders.

I guess you better get busy waving that red flag. 5 doors down.

Sarcasm Off!

Come on back Dave. Don't let one guy with an obvious agenda try to run you off. You did nothing wrong.

Here is the time / pressure curves with the equivalent loads. Information missing by design, and the important part is the curves.

Note how Blackhorn 209 and Triple Se7en loose powder curves and peak pressures are virtually identical.

BpPressures.jpg

The same pressure information with bullet type and weight in a Bar Chart. KIK Powders not shown.
chart_a.png

****WARNING**** The Accurate 5744 Powder shown in the far right bar is SMOKELESS POWDER, and not a suitable propellant for any current production muzzleloaders, and is only pictured to show the DANGER of an equivalent Volume charge. It has approximately 6 times the pressure of an equivalent volume charge of Blackhorn 209 or Triple Se7en loose powders. That would be catastrophic in any current production muzzleloader. ****WARNING****
chart_b.png

These Blackhorn 209 Loads were fired from a NEF Huntsman .50. caliber, NOT a CVA, to show velocities. Heavy Lead, with and without wads, from 2008.

003.jpg

004 (1).jpg

020 (1).jpg

021 (2).jpg

022 (1).jpg

023 (1).jpg

024.jpg

Those .50 cal NEF Huntsman loads above were shot out of a 24" 1:28 twist stainless steel .502" bore, Green Mountain OEM factory barrel.

I just went ahead and ordered the Hankins DI breech plug for my Accura. I'm trying to find more BH209. No one round here has any yet. MidSouth has the best price on a #5 @ $255.15 shipped.

I just went ahead and ordered the Hankins DI breech plug for my Accura. I'm trying to find more BH209. No one round here has any yet. MidSouth has the best price on a #5 @ $255.15 shipped.

What part of Michigan do you live in? A lot of the small shops have it in Mid-Michigan, but it's usually older stock, and they want an arm and a leg for it. Walmart has been stocking it (seasonally) for at least 2 years now. Not sure when they put it out, but should be soon I would think?

Keep us posted on the DI Breech Plug.

Went to the farm yesterday after work and set up targets at 50, 100, 150, 175, & 200. Then found that i forgot my breech plug. LOL. Maybe I should just wait for the DI plug to come in and shoot my Whites instead.

Went to the farm yesterday after work and set up targets at 50, 100, 150, 175, & 200. Then found that i forgot my breech plug. LOL. Maybe I should just wait for the DI plug to come in and shoot my Whites instead.

Oh man! That reminds me of the time I drove over to the farm to go pheasant hunting, like 20 years ago when we still had pheasants. I get there, and the German Shorthaired Pointer was all excited, then I realized I had forgot my shotgun. Doh!

Lucky for me, My parents lived less than a mile away, and the old man let me use his Browning "Sweet Sixteen". The dog was happy!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Last edited:
Just shot my DI plug. Worked great so far at 50 yards. On the left are 4 after bore sighting (some covered up). Two bulls are after adjustment. The 4 holes 2" high are after another adjustment. Using Barnes TMZ 300 in supplied yellow sabot on 74grW BH209 and Federal LRMP match primers in Hankins DI module. Took a minute or two to get the hang of. Definitely not speedy for a follow-up shot but more accurate than the other plugs. Next week i will shoot to 100 and farther, see how it goes.

Attachments

• 20191006_145501_HDR.jpg
    20191006_145501_HDR.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 9
Using DI i dont think its gunna matter much which primer unless you want a cooler primer for say....Triple7. Ignition with BH209 should be instant and the trace i saw showed a really nice speed boost too.

I'm sure you're right. I have both CCI and the Federal lrmp. I've only used these Feds so far. Im sure i wont we able to tell the dif in this gun out to 200 or even 300 if i ever get to the point of wanting to shoot that far

That is the beauty though of a good module system. There are much milder primers if needed. I think standard large pistol primers will fit the module. Those might be better for Triple7 crud ring.

Cleaning the breechplug was so much easier than a 209 plug. Not to mention that the breech itself was so clean all i had to do was wipe off the antiseize from the plug. Makes up for a little more complex loading.

Back