Anyway to ignite BH 209 in a White Super 91?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkgt

Reaction score
Sounds like a good alternative to Pyrodex RS but is there a way to ignite it in a 91?

How does Triple 7 work in a White and with what conical.

Sure miss the high quality White conicals. What are other good choices other than the No Excuses?

T7 3F works well in my 2 Super 91's. I've never tried T7 2F but never heard anybody having trouble either. As far as conicals go I shoot Bullshop 465gr in the .451 and Bullshop 460gr or Batchiefs homemade 496gr Trashcans in the .504 with 70-90gr of T7 3F or the same load of Swiss 3F, I prefer the Swiss. The problem with Bullshop is that he is taking some time off and won't be casting anymore bullets until October. I've only shot the Bullshop and NE's in my 91.
As far as shooting Blackhorn 209 in a 91 I wouldn't bother, personaly. I would buy a Knight (my preference) for Blackhorn 209.

The BH209 takes a 209 primer to set it off. The #11 caps or musket caps won't do it reliably.

I use triple seven in both my super 91's. 3Fg in the .451 and 2Fg in the .504. I have a load of White superslugs and NE's and Bullshops for the .451 and Bullshops and BatChief's trashcans for the .504.

Give the sabots a try in yours as well if you don't mind plastic, they are supposed to shoot very well in the Whites. I haven't tried them yet since the conicals are shooting so well, don't see the need.

In my White I shoot Triple Se7en 3f and some 460 and 500 grain conicals with very good results. 70 grains is all that I need for the kind of shooting I do.

Some people do shoot the T-7 2f and again with good results. I think Sabotloader tried BH209 in his White, but I do not remember the results..

Thanks for the replies. I don't know whether to stay with RS or try the T7?

Does the T7 crud ring help hold the .503 conical in the bore? I usually have shoot a fouling shot to be sure the No Excuses stay pit.

Well I could not say what happens in a Super 91 but what little fowling does occur would probably help. I read somewhere that BullShop is taking orders again for custom size conicals like you would get at No Excuses.. Although don't quote me on it.

In my 2 91's I've never gotten the crud ring using #11 caps. In my .504 I hunt with a clean barrel and wrap the conical with white teflon tape which holds the bullet on the powder. I tested accuracy last summer. The tapped bullet had the same point of impact as the bullets fired from a swabbed barrel. I would go with the T7 over the RS just bcause RS is far more corrosive than T7. If you do want to shoot Pyrodex I would go with Pyrodex P when shooting a conical. Doc White used to swear by that stuff.

White ignition

I have not had to do it yet but I am quite confident 5 grains of black powder or T7 down the tube first would ignite a blackhorn charge just fine . I intend to try it on a TC renagade soon as it cools off a little.
Wayles

I have tried a "duplex" load of about 4 grains of FFFG blackpowder in a 100 grain load of BH209 and it solved the ignition problem in the rifle I was using. It seemed to me that the blackpowder fouling was consumed completely, because I was able to load more than a dozen shots without swabbing and it remained easy to load.

It would be convenient to carry a flintlock pan charging flask and use it to drop the FFFG before the main charge of BH209. I think it would make BH209 usable in most any muzzleloader, regardless of ignition system.

I have tried a "duplex" load of about 4 grains of FFFG blackpowder in a 100 grain load of BH209 and it solved the ignition problem in the rifle I was using. It seemed to me that the blackpowder fouling was consumed completely, because I was able to load more than a dozen shots without swabbing and it remained easy to load.

It would be convenient to carry a flintlock pan charging flask and use it to drop the FFFG before the main charge of BH209. I think it would make BH209 usable in most any muzzleloader, regardless of ignition system.
WILDHOBBYBOBBY

Are you still shooting a Super 91? I plan on mirroring your load and wanted to talk to you about it.

Bh209 isn't recommended in a plunger style gun. I'd use another powder in your 91 for sure

Thanks, after investigating this further I now agree. I do not want loose an eye from a arrant 209 primer from pressure and a week plunger action.

This is the same load that I shot in my white 98, 451. It shot very well and I am a big fan of black horn. This load was recommended to me by Doc himself
However the number 11 caps explode upon ignition and small pieces do blow back. Because of that I chose to shoot T73F and my Whites. It takes a little more maintenance at the range and for thorough cleaning, but it does shoot just as well

Greg

WILDHOBBYBOBBY

Are you still shooting a Super 91? I plan on mirroring your load and wanted to talk to you about it.

While I haven’t tried this, this is what Doc said.
“ I started advocating a blackpowder igniter under BH209 3-4 years ago. It enhances velocity , cuts down on pressure and velocity variation and is more accurate .Some shooters have caught on, you are seeing the result. I use it in my Super 91 with #11 cap , 451 cal, 5 gr BP, 70 gr BH209 and 360 gr saboted or slip fit bullet. 1770 fps, 3" high at 100, 9" low at 200, 2" groups at 200 DOC”

Back