Apex, yes, no, or maybe??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
Well I went looking for a 2010 Wolf or Optima today at the local shops. Did not find one but I looked at a couple of Apexs. Of course they are more exspensive than a Wolf however I like the idea of the centerfire barrel option. Does anyone own an Apex and multiple centerfire barrels? Is it practical to swap barrels on a regular basis? What about major POI changes?

i love our apex. We got the combo .50cal - 30-06 barrels and both are shooters. The scary part is that the .50cal barrel gives the 3006 a damn hard run for its money. I still have to work reloads up for the '06 but i just hate reloading for centerfire.

Is there a rimfire barrel available? And what about the practicality of swapping barrels? I see the T/C folks buying frames for every barrel and not swapping barrels.

JimG said:
Is there a rimfire barrel available? And what about the practicality of swapping barrels? I see the T/C folks buying frames for every barrel and not swapping barrels.

Black versions are available in the following:
CR4404S/.45-70-Full Contour
CR4602S/7mm-08-Std. Contour
CR4502S/.308-Std. Contour
CR4302S/.30-06-Std. Contour
CR4406S/.300 Win Mag-Std. Contour
CR4202S/.270-Std. Contour
CR4102S/.243-Std. Contour
CR4416S/.223-Std. Contour
CR4414S/.222-Std. Contour
CR4418S/.22-250-Full Contour
CR4510S/.35 Whelen-Std. Contour

Camo versions,
CR4405S/.45-70-Full Contour
CR4603S/7mm-08-Std. Contour
CR4503S/.308-Std. Contour
CR4303S/.30-06-Std. Contour
CR4407S/.300 Win Mag-Std. Contour
CR4203S/.270-Std. Contour
CR4103S/.243-Std. Contour
CR4417S/.223-Std. Contour
CR4415S/.222-Std. Contour
CR4419S/.22-250-Full Contour
CR4421S/.22 Rimfire-Std. Contour
CR4511S/.35 Whelen-Std. Contour

You'll be able to buy ML barrels and the other barrels from cva for $220.

I dont have any problems switching over barrels. The '06 is always dead on when i remount it, same as with the 50cal barrel.

IMHO, switch barrel guns offer a false economy.

a) You still need a scope and mounts for each barrel. You can fudge around with one scope and QD rings but, that rarely works as planned or hoped.

b) 1 in a million rifle barrels won't require a re-zero when switching barrels.

c) If you have a problem in the frame, multiple guns are out of order.

The one exception where it may make sense is having a second, 12ga turkey barrel.

My $0.02

I have not heard that about the TC barrels before I have an Endeavor and switching from the muzzle loader barrel to the 22 for squirrel hunting or the 270 in high power season [called modern gun here ] is no problem.

Apex

IMHO the Apex is a fine rifle,ML,shotgun. As good or better than the TC products. Each have their own problems.

I would not give too much attention to the remarks by Urban_Redneck in regard to a CVA product. He dislikes CVA as much as RW does and his bottom line in his posts confirms that.

Re: Apex

rogo said:
I would not give too much attention to the remarks by Urban_Redneck in regard to a CVA product. He dislikes CVA as much as RW does and his bottom line in his posts confirms that.

Too funny! My response was generic in regard to any switch barrel gun with a (re)movable hinge (TC, CVA, NEF).

CVA makes decent guns, I simply find their advertising/marketing strategy distasteful and dishonest enough to make note of it.

U_R

Didn't CVA just start only selling the barrels for the Apex directly? No more getting them from the retailers?

http://bpimediaonline.com/apex-barrels-direct.pdf

CVA has announced that beginning in January 2011, Bergara Barrels for its popular APEX
interchangeable barrel rifle system will be sold exclusively through its CVA website ?
www.CVA.com

By selling
the barrels direct to consumers rather than through CVA?s dealer base, McGarity says that CVA
will be able to offer APEX owners both ready availability and significantly lower prices than
before

So much for seeing before buying and supporting your local retailers.

Apex

My apologies U_R. Guess I misread your remarks as a direct slam towards CVA in general.

i realiy like mine, i bought it as a muzzloader and my wife bought me a 7mm08 barrel for christmas.the muzzy shoots 300 grain shockwaves into a one inch 3 shot group at 100 yards with 100 grains of Blackhorn 209.i have the rifle barrel on it now and it shoots holes touching 3 shot 100 yard groups with 139 grain sst Hornady boolets. muzzy barrel going back on so i can shoot a hog

i realiy like mine, i bought it as a muzzloader and my wife bought me a 7mm08 barrel for christmas.the muzzy shoots 300 grain shockwaves into a one inch 3 shot group at 100 yards with 100 grains of Blackhorn 209.i have the rifle barrel on it now and it shoots holes touching 3 shot 100 yard groups with 139 grain sst Hornady boolets. muzzy barrel going back on so i can shoot a hog

GM54-120 said:
Didn't CVA just start only selling the barrels for the Apex directly? No more getting them from the retailers?

IMHO, the market for multi-barrel rifles has matured and is likely, saturated.

Retailers and wholesalers mindful of their inventory costs have a difficult time stocking all the barrels. Especially since customers have an uncanny ability to request a caliber that's not on the shelf.

By going to a centralized barrel inventory, CVA theoretically reduces the difficulty of finding the barrel you are looking for.

As I stated earlier, I don't think the switch barrel market is that large. Couple that with the fact that TC has 45 year head start in the switch barrel marketplace, that makes for a tough row to hoe for any company looking for big numbers.

My $0.02

Not sure why U-R thinks you have to resight every time. I can change my barrels in and out and they hit the same as when i sighted them in.

Has CVA had any problems with the frames stretching or the underlugs compressing on the Optima Elites/Scouts/Apexs? These two issues crop up on the H-R's from time to time. End result is slop in the either hinge area or excessive headspace.

Did VAKnight get his issue fixed yet on his Apex in 270. Having a gun come open with factory ammo is a bit weird considering his hand loads were fine. Picking a primer out of your skull isnt much fun either.

I still think it was the ammo had an issue or just a bad batch. Probably too much OAL or other sizing issue.

Back