APP Multi Purpose Black 3F

Help Support Modern Muzzleloader:

Rickt300

Well hardly an intensive test. I got my barrel (209x50 Encore) back from getting two more holes tapped for a 6 hole base, mounted a Konus 1-4x25 30 MM scope on it and put the barrel on the action. I had ordered and received 4 pounds of the MPB from Grafs. I got it sighted in pretty fast but I noticed the scope sits too far back set as far forward as I can get it. A combination of the adjustment knobs being in the wrong place and the eyepiece being pretty long it hit me in the face 4 times. Not hard enough to make me bleed but a bump none the less. So I flinched a few shots. At any rate because of this I kept my charges down to two loads of 80 and 90 grains for testing. The powder puts out plenty of smoke if that is important to you. Fouling is minimal. I normally swab by running a wetted patch (this time with orange windshield washer fluid) turning it over and running it again then running a dry patch between shots. The first patch is dirty but the second is pretty clean. Accuracy and repeatability was very good when I wasn't flinching, I wasted three shots and I only fired 15. Cleanup was a breeze I ran both sides of a wet patch and a dry patch 3 times and the barrel looks spotless. The breech plug remained clear and I did check it at shot 11 and when I was finished. So now I have to find a scope that I can get the eyepiece far enough forward so it doesn't knock my shooting glasses off. I was shooting green ribbed Harvester sabots and 240 gr. Speer Unicor .429 bullets which loaded just right.

Rickt300

Wow check them out, they look like the old style steel rings. Well that would work. I have a gripe about the Weaver 30 mm rings I bought in the first place, the clamp, bolt and the slotted nut come off of the rings when you take the scope off the base. Stupid design.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Did you notice this part about the EABCO rail?

Original EABCO KeyLock Magnum precision machined scope mounting base for the TC Encore and Pro Hunter. Mount it with the overhang to the rear to shorten the eye relief (Handgunners often mount it this way). Or, mount it with the overhang forward to get maximum eye relief (Rifle shooters prefer this). Mounts to the standard T/C 4-Hole pattern or can be mounted with 6 screws for maximum hold with the hardest kicking cartridges (requires 2 more holes drilled and tapped).

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
I wonder if the hole spacing is the same as what I have now to match the Eabco base?
No idea. Shoot them an email. All i can tell you is they are true picatinny. Or at least mine is. So ring placement is far more versatile.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Supporter
Supporter
Or get a long rail from EGW and have the holes drilled to match your rifle.
A dozen of this 12 of that, just throwing things out there.
EGW was the only Pic rail (non-peep) I could find for a CVA, and I seen they have long blank rails.

Caniborrowsomeammo

Supporter
Supporter
GM54, thanks for the heads up on Hanks rail, couldn't find Contessa's tho.

RickT I would get that scope forward before you set yourself up to flinch, it is sub-conscious, and hard to break yourself from it.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
That is because its not called a CVA Scout. Its called a Bergara Scout across the pond. Contessa is an Italian company that makes rings and bases.

Rickt300

Did you notice this part about the EABCO rail?

Original EABCO KeyLock Magnum precision machined scope mounting base for the TC Encore and Pro Hunter. Mount it with the overhang to the rear to shorten the eye relief (Handgunners often mount it this way). Or, mount it with the overhang forward to get maximum eye relief (Rifle shooters prefer this). Mounts to the standard T/C 4-Hole pattern or can be mounted with 6 screws for maximum hold with the hardest kicking cartridges (requires 2 more holes drilled and tapped).
Sure did and have the overhang forward. The scope has the adjustment knobs too far forward. Actually the scope is made to be used on AR15 style rifles and it is a nice piece of glass. I am going with an older Leupold 4 power. I like the SSK rail but going to the Leupold will solve the problem and knock some ounces off.

Rickt300

Further testing reveals that 85 grains of Multi Purpose Black weighed is an excellent load. Also my Winchester 209 primers seal the breech plug pretty well as very little blow by if any is getting past the primer. The Leupold is an older model that doesn't have "clicks" and took a few more shots to get sighted in. So I didn't quite finish that chore as company came over, turned 65 Saturday.

Latest posts