AR 15 AMMO

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyzink

Reaction score
I just picked up a Bushmaster Varminter with a 24" 1x9 twist barrell, I will be using this gun for coyote hunting only, at ranges of 300 yards or less. I am not concerned about price of ammo as I will be lucky if I shoot more than 20 rounds a year. I realize that I will have to see what ammo the gun likes best but was hoping I could get some advice as to what would a few different ones to start with. I am looking for the most accurate but also good knock down for yotes. I have no time or desire to reload so factory ammo only. Thanks

Billy,
Like you stated, depends on the rifle. My colt likes the 55gr v-max. The ultramax brand in bulk is reasonably priced and pretty clean, and shoots really well in my 1/7 colt. This stuff is devastating on chucks. Should put the smackdown on a yote too.

If you don't reload, Black Hills and Ultramax would be some of your best bets for ammo if you can find it. In the Black Hills, try either 50 Vmax, 52 Match HP, or 60 Vmax. In the Ultramax, try the 50 and 55 gr. Nosler BT's. Your Varminter should shoot any of these plenty good.

+1 with what Nic_58 said!

Mine likes all those but is MOST accurate with Black Hills 55gr sp and 52gr Match..

Try the Black hills 60 gr. V-max loads. My Remington R-15 built by Bushmaster shoots tnem into 1/2 inch for 4 shots.

Chocdog

One more vote for the black hills 60 grn v-max. My
remington r-15 shoots great with these. Sub moa at 100 yrds.

Most .223's are not picky about ammo as long as you are using a bullet appropriate for the twist, and with your 1/9, you will get good results with most anything between 40 and 69 grains. The recommendations above are all good. You will be happy with any of them. My personal choice would be a 55 grain bullet for coyotes, to guarantee adequate penetration without sacrificing velocity. It would be good to 300 yards if you do your part.

You can Duplicate the Black Hills 60 Gr. V-MAX load with 25.0 grains of Hodgdons benchmark powder.

Chocdog

choc-dog said:
You can Duplicate the Black Hills 60 Gr. V-MAX load with 25.0 grains of Hodgdons benchmark powder.

Chocdog

Uh yeah. :roll: Hodgdon lists 24.6 gr as max load with 60 gr V-Max and Benchmark. :roll:

Hornady manual lists 25.0 of Benchmark with their own 60 gr. V-max.

As another example in the 25-06 with H-4831 Hodgdon manual lists 52.0 with the 120 gr bullet and Hornady lists 54.3 with their 120 gr HP. My T/C pro hunter in 25-06 shoots the lights out with 54.0 H-4831SC.

The hodgdon manual has always been conservative...the lawyers of course.

Chocdog

Uh yeah, that's it. :roll: Changing components will affect pressure levels, not lawyers. So, by advertising a certain powder charge is ok without caveats of other components is asinine. Even more so is someone using such data from a forums board. In God we trust, all others we verify. Always refrence loading data against multiple published load sources.

Back