Are 209 primers....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomme boy

Reaction score
I have been shooting BP rifles since 1984. I have had numerous TC and CVA guns over the years. But none have ever used 209 primers.

Right now I have a TC System 1 in 50 cal. I made a new bolt out of SS and affixed a pin to the face of the bolt. I bought a 209 nipple for this to convert it over to the 209 system. I also parted off the QLA and put a nice crown on the barrel.

I have seen that some say that 209 primers can unseat the bullet before the charge goes off. Is this really a thing? Does a regular 209 cause accuracy issues? I have always used a musket cap in the past on this gun. But since CCI stopped making the good musket caps I have finally used up my stash of them. That is why I converted this gun over to 209.

I have not fired this yet. So I might have to adjust the pin length if it blanks a primer. I have all kinds of different 209 primers all the way back to 57 and 97 type of primers. What I have the most of is win209 followed by fed 209A. I am going to stick with the Win209 as I have the most. Almost 4000 of them. I don't load much shotgun anymore.

Anyway, I am hopefully going to get out this coming week to test the gun and new bullets. I ordered a new mold from Accurate with 2 different designs. Well more like 2 weights. They are extremely close in features. Plus I have both the Lee REAL molds and a TC 370gr Maxiball. I have powder weighed out in different charges for each of these bullets. It may take a few trips to shoot all of them. And I have not shot it since taking off the QLA so this is going to be like a whole new gun for me. And a new scope! Well new to me anyway. A old school 3-9 Redfield with the wide angle TV view.

So has anyone seen this with 209 primers and had to go to the "muzzle loader" 209's?

The Winchester 209's will be fine as will be the feds. I have never had either move a load other than bang as long as the sabot/bullet combo had enough friction going down to stay put.

Back