Are nipples different sizes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarp66

Reaction score
I recently bought a used Knight Lk 93 and the nipple that is screwed into the breech plug seems to be a different size. This is the 4th Lk 93 that I've bought but none of my breech plug/nipple tools fit this nipple to loosen it...The nipple seems to be a different size...Can somebody let me know if nipple sizes are different and if so how many sizes are there? Perhaps someone makes a tool that fit multiple nipple sizes?...I dont know much about nipples being all my other knights are 209 ignition...

Normally #11 or Musket. I shoot Knight Red Hot Musket in my Knight Bighorn.

Is #11 and musket nipples two different sizes? The nipple that I'm having issues with is too thick to fit in my knight nipple tool

The Nipple Stack (Where you put the cap in the nipple) is different sizes for #11 vs the Musket cap. Musket cap is larger. The other place they can vary in size is the threading. Some are 1/4x28 and some are metric, but that should not effect the tool from slipping over the stack.:think:

Is the tool your using the one that came from Knight?

The Nipple Stack (Where you put the cap in the nipple) is different sizes for #11 vs the Musket cap. Musket cap is larger. The other place they can vary in size is the threading. Some are 1/4x28 and some are metric, but that should not effect the tool from slipping over the stack.:think:

I had a problem before with non -- knight nipples in my bk92 being too short and the plunger wouldnt hit them . Is this your problem ???

Yes it is my knight tool...I have a total of 5 knight rifles and none of the tools fit over top the nipple...It appears the slot that's in the tool isnt wide enough to fit over the male slot of the nipple

Yes it is my knight tool...I have a total of 5 knight rifles and none of the tools fit over top the nipple...It appears the slot that's in the tool isnt wide enough to fit over the male slot of the nipple
There are a ton of different size nipples out there period . In many different variations . If you cant get it out take breech plug and all to a gunsmith and let him do it or replace breech plug and nipple with new knight parts . Those new knight parts will fit your tools and the gun properly . Most nipples that arent knight red hots wouldnt allow mine to even fire !!! They were All Too Short !!!

Last edited:
I don't own any Knights, but I have lots of experience with musket nipples and caps. I used them for years on my T/C muzzle loaders. That is, until the caps became nearly impossible to find. Now I'm back to #11 caps.

Anyway, the musket nipple is about twice the diameter as a #11. The cap resembles a top hat with 4 peddles extending around the base. The tool to remove the nipple does have a larger opening. I have purchased universal nipple tools for my T/Cs that work for either size. You may be able to track one of those down.

As I have previously stated, I don't own any Knights, so I have no experience working with them.

Some careful work with a file or Dremel might get you unscrewed, or run it to a machinist to have them open the slot. Get you in business today instead of waiting for a new tool. If you have multiple tools anyway.

Some careful work with a file or Dremel might get you unscrewed

This was my next suggestion also. I can't remember what rifle I had to do this to an odd sized nipple, I did it once to one of my knight tools. Just can't remember if it was for a Knight Rifle or something else.

Is this a new rifle or did you get it second hand? If second hand then maybe it was not a Knight nipple. You might try a small open end wrench just to see if you can loosen the nipple a little and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to get it the rest of the way. If you can get it out then you can replace it with one you normally use in one of your other rifles.

This was my next suggestion also. I can't remember what rifle I had to do this to an odd sized nipple, I did it once to one of my knight tools. Just can't remember if it was for a Knight Rifle or something else.

Is this a new rifle or did you get it second hand? If second hand then maybe it was not a Knight nipple. You might try a small open end wrench just to see if you can loosen the nipple a little and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to get it the rest of the way. If you can get it out then you can replace it with one you normally use in one of your other rifles.
It's a used gun I bought online

It's a used gun I bought online...The only nipples I've been used to was the red hot nipples

I like the Red Hots from Knight too. Never had an issue with fail to fire with them. If you have some small open end wrenches maybe you can get one to fit in there just enough to break the nipple loose. A 13/64 ignition wrench will fit the 1/4x28 knight nipples.

I like the Red Hots from Knight too. Never had an issue with fail to fire with them. If you have some small open end wrenches maybe you can get one to fit in there just enough to break the nipple loose. A 13/64 ignition wrench will fit the 1/4x28 knight nipples.

Back