Are There Any Custom Inline Rifle Builders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the world of traditional sidelock muzzleloaders, we have a number of custom builders. Some recreate historic firearms, some build to the customer's specifications. I am new to modern muzzleloading. Are there any custom builders out there? Pecatonica River Longrifle Supply still lists the Pete Allen inline action:

1679862709927.png
This action has a Timney trigger and a very straightforward mechanism. I don't know if the nipple is integral with the breechplug, or if it uses a standard replacement nipple. A call to Pecatonica River could probably answer those questions, but I haven't done it yet. Anyway, you could have the barrel of your choice fitted, sights installed, stock it and finish it, and you have a custom inline. Is anybody doing this?

Roughly fifty years ago, my dad and I went to a muzzleloader shoot held by a club which is now defunct. I recall one of the guys there had an inline rifle from Alex Hamilton of Ten-Ring Precision out of San Antonio. It had a modern-styled stock, inline action, and precision sights, but an octagon barrel that was rifled to take patched round balls. He said it was his "buffalo rifle," and it was evidently legal for competition in the buffalo (X-stick) matches at that time. I believe he let me shoot it. It was a serious competition rifle. I don't see well enough to be a serious competitor now, but I've been thinking it might be fun to have something like that for a few hours at the range once in a while.

Just to be clear, I don't have the time, skills, tools, or inclination to attempt building anything like that myself, so a home-crafted custom inline is not on the table. I don't see that Pecatonica River sells a precarved stock for this type of build, and I would not know what other precarved stocks would fit. I'm not even sure I seriously want one. However, I would like to know what some of the options are for custom builds, if one can't find a production-made rifle that suits him.

Thanks in advance, to all who respond.

Bob Turkeytrack

Last edited:
Arrowhead rifles, Hankins are a couple that I can think of rite off the top of my head
there is a deep hole for custom muzzleloaders and builders and with some you have to have deep pockets to get one of those fine rifles

Thank you, gentlemen! I had not heard of any of those before, but I am admittedly "out of the loop." I'll check 'em out.

Bob Turkeytrack

Latest posts

Back