arrows and broadhead flight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Over the years I have always used Easton and Beman arrows and muzzy my go to broadhead and never experienced broadhead planning . Well I purchased a dozen Gold Tips installed my favorite fletching colors etc. With field tips they flew fine. I switched to my muzzys and they planed low right. Tried indexing and a couple different heads same deal. Fast forward a good friend said come over and shoot and i`ll give you a couple g5 montecs to try. He`s uses the same arrows. The Montecs were hitting the bullseye. Problem solved.

If you're using Muzzys with an aluminum ferrule it is a good possibility that they are slightly bent. Did you try new broadheads? Now if you shot 3 or 4 Muzzys and they were hitting the same spot you could tweak your tuning by adjusting your rest until both BHs and FTs hit the same POI then resight in your pins.
It would be a shame to throw your muzzys into a box and spend another $40 on broadheads.

I have used the G5 Montec fixed blade broadheads for years and have seen the same thing you saw.
I switched to Rage and have zero issues anymore. In my earlier post the reason I asked if he used new BHs was because I had bent ferrule issues with Magnus Stinger BHs. I killed meny deer with them in addition to a couple bison but you couldn't trust used ones. They had to be new. Shooting into a block type target would often bend the ferrule where flight would be erratic.

I used to shoot those Muzzy broadheads with ST Axis arrows from my vertical bow.
They always shot good for me.
When I switched to the crossbow, I went with different heads. Smaller profile ones like Slick Trick. For mechanical heads, I use Swhacker.

I used to shoot those Muzzy broadheads with ST Axis arrows from my vertical bow.
They always shot good for me.
When I switched to the crossbow, I went with different heads. Smaller profile ones like Slick Trick. For mechanical heads, I use Swhacker.
Oh yes Slick Tricks are a great BH too. When my daughter-in-law said she wanted to go archery hunting with me I set her up with a 40# Martin compound some Gold Tip arrows and Slick Tricks. Those also fly exceptionally well.

If you're using Muzzys with an aluminum ferrule it is a good possibility that they are slightly bent. Did you try new broadheads? Now if you shot 3 or 4 Muzzys and they were hitting the same spot you could tweak your tuning by adjusting your rest until both BHs and FTs hit the same POI then resight in your pins.
It would be a shame to throw your muzzys into a box and spend another $40 on broadheads.

The muzzys were new and shot well with other brand arrows. I`ll still use them but not with the Gold Tips. Nice to have options. Thanks

Ya I get what you're saying I always shoot 400 spine. 4 different brands. All shoot muzzys good except GT. Bow has been tuned and paper shot. I'm not going to try to over think it. Shoots well the way it's set uo

Frankly Jim I have no faith in Paper tuning. I don't even do it anymore. I set my bow up by eye for square and left and centershot. I sight in the bow with FTs at 20 yards. I do some fine tuning using the walkback method. I then shoot my broadheads. Depending on the BH point of impact I adjust my rest in minor increments until both the BHs and FTs hit the same POI. Once that is accomplish I resight in my bow.
NOTE: it normally does not take much rest adjustment to do this fine tuning.

Here is a great article to read on tuning. https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/technical/182490-don-t-stop-walk-back.html

I have been using Gold Tip arrows and regular Muzzy 3 blade heads for years upon years now, elk hunting mainly. The Muzzy's I use are old stock though, or at least the ferrules are, from the 90's before they were bought out by Feradyne. I've had no issues using them with GT arrows. There is no reason the arrow would cause the Muzzy's to not fly well vs some different arrow. Not saying you didn't see that result, just saying there has to be something different with the GT's to get that result. Spine not correct, arrow ends not squared up, bent aluminum inserts, or different profile of fletchings.

Latest posts

Back