Artillery/sniper hold for bench shooting and/or target sight in.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
When using my airguns I use the sniper hold same with bench shooting .22lr.

Can I continue to use the sniper hold on my CVA wolf for decent accuracy?

I want to hunt the same way if possible. Ideally I would be perched up or hidden in a blind with my rifle rested on a sand bag.

I also am going to try to keep it to a lighter charge with a .45 saboted reload bullet. I figure less recoil with the small charge.

Really not long range but....
If you're talking about using a bipod as the front rest and no rear rest, certainly. Most all muzzleloader competitions are shot with a front rest only.

Really not long range but....
If you're talking about using a bipod as the front rest and no rear rest, certainly. Most all muzzleloader competitions are shot with a front rest only.
Yes, kind of. I like using a sand bag rather than a bipod for the front support.
But the main thing about the artillery hold is you don't grip the gun tightly. With an artillery hold lay the open palm of your hand underneath the stock of the rifle. Then cup your hand gently. With your right hand on the trigger.

In a sniper hold to use the bipod or in my case and bag underneath the stock. There is no left hand in supporting the rifle as a matter of fact it's kind of chicken wing underneth your right shoulder. The only contact that you have with a firearm is your hand on the trigger.

You then shoot and basically let the gun do what it wants in terms of recoil. I guess I'll find out when I play with this thing but I assume that if I don't put a large charge in there and I shoot 45 sabot bullets The recoil should be minimal in the artillery style may work.

Just wondering if anybody shoots are muzzleloaders artillery style out there. Or do you all have a very firm grip before you go to fire.

Yes, kind of. I like using a sand bag rather than a bipod for the front support.
But the main thing about the artillery hold is you don't grip the gun tightly. With an artillery hold lay the open palm of your hand underneath the stock of the rifle. Then cup your hand gently. With your right hand on the trigger.

In a sniper hold to use the bipod or in my case and bag underneath the stock. There is no left hand in supporting the rifle as a matter of fact it's kind of chicken wing underneth your right shoulder. The only contact that you have with a firearm is your hand on the trigger.

You then shoot and basically let the gun do what it wants in terms of recoil. I guess I'll find out when I play with this thing but I assume that if I don't put a large charge in there and I shoot 45 sabot bullets The recoil should be minimal in the artillery style may work.

Just wondering if anybody shoots are muzzleloaders artillery style out there. Or do you all have a very firm grip before you go to fire.

IMO a firm grip will screw up your groups. Consistency is everything and how firm you hold it one time, will not be the same another. Those who want to hold the forearm are doing themselves an injustice.
For targets at long range, generally I use a rear bag for LONG range accuracy, otherwise shoot with only the trigger hand on the rifle. I do not wrap my thumb, but rather lay it on top or beside.

Last edited:
Okay now I'm beginning to visualize what you're talkin about I I do rap my thumb many of my stocks have thumbhole grips which I enjoy.

anyway yeah it's good to know that there is a artillery style shooters out there which kind of makes sense because the whole artillery style is named because of the artillery Cannon. which as we know when fired just kind of does its own thing rolls back gets pushed back into place and then gets fired again.

I found that many guns will recoil very consistently. interference to this recoil I found is just another variable that you have to keep constant in order to be able to recreate the same shooting condition every time.

Of course that all goes out the window on a hunt if you ever have to go tracking something.

Personally I got totally away from thumbhole stocks, especially when shooting heavy recoiling rifles. Stock makers have a habit of making stocks for what THEY consider the "average" shooter. In technical terms (anthropometrics), what they think that they're designing for is the 50th percentile in the population. Doing so means that 49% of the population is to small and the other 49% are large. Nothing against thumbhole stocks for those who like them, just not for me anymore.

Tell me about it. grips and their trigger positions can be tricky. now from me, I have smaller hands and a smaller stature. So in general I like them thumb hole stocks and carbine or short style rifles.

I had an air rifle once if that I loved it had a beautiful wooden stock. But it also have that typical extended finger non thumb hole rifle stock. It's really hard to enjoy a gun with a badly placed trigger. I felt like I was pointing at the Target. the very tip of my finger on the trigger.

Then again whats bad for me is good for somebody else. I've had a few pistols that have had grip so wide I bet you would think it would require Andre the giants hand.

one size does not fit all when it comes to grips. And it's a shame because it can really ruin a good gun for the shooter as was my case.

Hey an idea just popped into my head. The Nike inflatable grip. If you have small hands pump twice. Medium hands four times. Maximum inflation 6 times.

LOL........ I actually have leather inflatable gloves and have had for 20+yrs.
Push the bulb shown in the photo to increase inflation.

Shooting gloves.JPG

The McMillan thumbhole I had was a pain in the ask. Thumb placement had to be exact each time, another contributing factor to worry about. Then the heavy recoil of the rifle it was on, wanted to tear up the top of my thumb. I got by for a few years by adhering a piece of foam inside the top of the thumbhole. Once I went to a stock that FIT properly, I'll never go back to a thumbhole.

IMG_0932.JPG

LOL........ I actually have leather inflatable gloves and have had for 20+yrs.
Push the bulb shown in the photo to increase inflation.

View attachment 9652

The McMillan thumbhole I had was a pain in the ask. Thumb placement had to be exact each time, another contributing factor to worry about. Then the heavy recoil of the rifle it was on, wanted to tear up the top of my thumb. I got by for a few years by adhering a piece of foam inside the top of the thumbhole. Once I went to a stock that FIT properly, I'll never go back to a thumbhole.

View attachment 9653
Those are some awesome gloves my friend. I love the rifle. God I miss my bolt action rifles.

in no way shape or form would I like any firearm that bit me pinched me or otherwise might. Also like you said just another variable to creating a consistent shots. Recoil is bad enough to cause gun shyness. Worrying that I'm going to get pinched by something forget it. and again because one size doesn't fit all it might work beautifully for some people.

Gorgeous looking rifle!

Thanks but......I fixed that too.....
This stock was properly built to fit me. Also went with the more vertical grip which I also like.

View attachment 9655
see now I'm usually a sucker for the black synthetic stock but they get boring after awhile and I got to tell you after it changed its clothes that tiger eye outfit is looking pretty nice. And the adjustable cheek rest has to be a big plus.
What kind of scope is that if you don't mind me asking?

Gabpan this might interest you

Now that is exactly what I was talking about! That's the style of shooting that gets me very excited. It's good to see that it's not only done but common practice.

That looks like all around fun from the score keeping and ranking to the plinking of the iron animal targets in the background.

That is definitely my favorite shooting style as it is letting the gun do the work.

Now that is exactly what I was talking about! That's the style of shooting that gets me very excited. It's good to see that it's not only done but common practice.

That looks like all around fun from the score keeping and ranking to the plinking of the iron animal targets in the background.

That is definitely my favorite shooting style as it is letting the gun do the work.

https://www.nmlra.org/calendar/july2020-lrmlh

Latest posts

Back