ASM 1858 nickel plated surprise

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My buddy Paul showed up at my place today with a huge grin on his face and a nickel framed 1858! Said his kid got it for $20 and would i check it out? For sure! Well its beat up and a bit of surface rust on the barrel and cyinder, which are blued in a nickel frame. Pretty cool looking revolver. But the cylinder pin has been pounded on and so has the cylinder, bunch of little dents in it. Bore has some pitting but the cylinders look decent and 4 of the nipples are clear. The gun came with a flask full of powder, a tin of cci mag #11s, Hornady balls, brass measure and a multi tool for a c&b revolver. The cylinder pin wont come out and the hammer is real stiff and heavy, but the trigger is very crisp and light. Just for fun i put a couple caps on and fired them. Worked just fine except for the super heavy hammer. So i check out the flask, Paul says the seller told him its fffg black powder. So i pour a lil into my hand. I dont know exactly which powder this is but i know what it aint! We poured a little on a brick and lit it with a torch and it burned slow and hot and not even the tiniest wisp of smoke. Real fine grey powder with silver flecks in it. Maybe a magnum pistol powder. WTH!?!. Anyway he went in search of some t7 and we may try to shoot it this weekend if i can get that cylinder out for a better check up. But lesson of the day dont load and shoot an unknown powder. Idk if it would have lit off a #11 cap but that would have taken his hand off. Im so glad he thought to come see me instead of just loading it up.

My buddy Paul showed up at my place today with a huge grin on his face and a nickel framed 1858! Said his kid got it for $20 and would i check it out? For sure! Well its beat up and a bit of surface rust on the barrel and cyinder, which are blued in a nickel frame. Pretty cool looking revolver. But the cylinder pin has been pounded on and so has the cylinder, bunch of little dents in it. Bore has some pitting but the cylinders look decent and 4 of the nipples are clear. The gun came with a flask full of powder, a tin of cci mag #11s, Hornady balls, brass measure and a multi tool for a c&b revolver. The cylinder pin wont come out and the hammer is real stiff and heavy, but the trigger is very crisp and light. Just for fun i put a couple caps on and fired them. Worked just fine except for the super heavy hammer. So i check out the flask, Paul says the seller told him its fffg black powder. So i pour a lil into my hand. I dont know exactly which powder this is but i know what it aint! We poured a little on a brick and lit it with a torch and it burned slow and hot and not even the tiniest wisp of smoke. Real fine grey powder with silver flecks in it. Maybe a magnum pistol powder. WTH!?!. Anyway he went in search of some t7 and we may try to shoot it this weekend if i can get that cylinder out for a better check up. But lesson of the day dont load and shoot an unknown powder. Idk if it would have lit off a #11 cap but that would have taken his hand off. Im so glad he thought to come see me instead of just loading it up.
It's good you checked it out and your buddy had you look it over. Nice catch MM.

Ooooh - that could have been so close to a catastrophe, for the seller OR your friend. Wonder what stopped the seller from trying it out? He had everything there.

Latest posts

Back