At the range today…

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKasprzak

Reaction score
Was able to spend the day at the range with the new to me muzzleloader. I had purchased No Excuses 460 grain .50 conicals to use hunting and wanted to get those dialed in with this gun. I started out at 50 yards using Ox-Yoke wads between the powder and bullet with 80 grains of 2F GOEX, the accuracy was all over the map. Next I tried 90 grains with same result and then lastly 100 grains with the same result. I was getting pretty dejected then decided to “start all over” with no wads… interestingly the accuracy was spot on with 80 grains of powder.

3A7DD039-67CC-4EAE-85AC-66E1B633869B.jpeg
This was 20 yards…

975CF8B7-3A24-47BD-AF20-FC247397DB7C.jpeg
This was 50 yards after a slight tweaking of the rear peep.

Yeah, that’s a flinch. A guy at the range was watching and when I shot I said to him “I just don’t know what’s up with this gun.” His reply was… “IF you don’t take offense, that wasn‘t the gun.” So, I settled down and then shot the three touching…sometimes you just need an outside opinion.

For fun I shot a 100 yard target and learned with this load I have a pretty hefty drop… seems like about 10” or so. I’ll play with that more in the future just to see what I can do with it. For my hunting, 95% of my shots are between 20 and 50 yards so I’m happy for the moment.

Yes, I zero them in at 75 and then shoot at 50 and 100 yds to confirm where they will hit. It’s alwys been about 1.5-2” high at 50 and the same distance but low at 100.

Yep for close range shot sight-ins i use a 75-80 yard zero and hold over a little if needed. Rifles/loads like that i wont be using for much over 100 yards. Sure you could zero at 100 but that might be a little higher than you like at 50.

that is some fine shootin pilgrim
that will take care of any deer and those are some nice big holes to boot
I went to the range today but I was shooting some breech loaders a 444 Marlin, 22 Hornet and a 6.5 Creedmoor
next time I go I will take my 54 and some black

Yes, I zero them in at 75 and then shoot at 50 and 100 yds to confirm where they will hit. It’s alwys been about 1.5-2” high at 50 and the same distance but low at 100.
I'm jealous that you have been to the range and I haven't been able to yet! I normally sight in at 50yds and I try to get it sighted 1 inch high at 50yds. It ends up being almost dead on at 100yds. Most of my hunting shots are under 100yds with most being around 40-60yds. That's some great shooting with open sights! 😁

I generally just hang a target at 25 yards to get a gun /scope hitting a bullseye. Then I'll march a target out to 100 and have at it. While I am almost always shooting high at 100 when zeroed at 25 I leave thing alone elevation wise and work at bringing the group together windage-wise, then play with varying powder charges to see if things further tighten up. Once I am satisfied with things, I start hanging targets out to about 175 yards just to see where the gun puts bullets at those distances by holding on the bull.

My new scope has the ballistic dots for elevation and windage adjusting. I've been reading the manual that came with the scope to get familiar with how to use the dots. I can't imagine ever having to use them though.

that is some fine shootin pilgrim
that will take care of any deer and those are some nice big holes to boot
I went to the range today but I was shooting some breech loaders a 444 Marlin, 22 Hornet and a 6.5 Creedmoor
next time I go I will take my 54 and some black
We think alike. I have the 444 and K hornet in Ruger #3 sgl shot customs and a savage 6.5 Creed for my winter do-all truck gun ( at least until I get my AI 1 in 8 Swift dialed back in) Love my sgl shots but when it comes to coyotes " while there' s lead in the air there's still hope" LOL

Back