ATF,Muzzleloader pistol, stock adapter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spo1

Reaction score
Is it legal to install a stock adapter on a CVA Optima muzzleloader pistol making it a carbine
What does the ATF say

SBR restrictions only applies to stuff that needs a form 4473 aka a firearm. Under federal law a ML is not a firearm with a couple exceptions. If its a ML and can be converted back to centerfire then its a whole other matter.

SBR restrictions only applies to stuff that needs a form 4473 aka a firearm. Under federal law a ML is not a firearm with a couple exceptions. If its a ML and can be converted back to centerfire then its a whole other matter.
Can you convert the cva optima muzzleloader pistol to center fire by a barrel change??

Is it legal to install a stock adapter on a CVA Optima muzzleloader pistol making it a carbine
What does the ATF say

Yes that is fine as far as ATF.

Pedersoli sells a shotgun with a butt stock and 12" barrel and not a problem. I can look for a link. As already posted, there is no restriction on barrel length or stocks/grip configuration with muzzle loading guns. Anything you can dream up, no problem. Shoulder stocks on colt dragoons, perfectly fine.

The $64,000 question is who makes a stock that will work. The CVA butt stock will not install due to the screw angle. And the pistol frame cannot be drilled and taped for the alternative screw position due to the angle and location of the pistol grip screw.

You could shorten the barrel on a cva muzzle loading rifle. There is no legal restriction on barrel length. That is the easy way. I think, I would prefer 16 or 18 barrel length anyways. I am not sure. I wish the rifle butt stocks and pistol grips from CVA would swap.

Last edited:
The centerfire conversion maybe a grey area. I dont know for sure. I do know I can scratch build any legal centerfire weapon for my own use. That is a 2nd amendment thing. I can build my own gun. I can build using 80% receiver and any source of parts. That gun has to comply with all local and federal laws. Using parts from a muzzle loader seems like it should be legit. I am not saying it is ok, only that logic would imply it was ok,.

BTW, it is possible to purchase 45LC adapters to fire center fire ammo in the cap and ball revolvers like the Ruger Old Army or 38 S&W conversions for the 36 colt. That is odd to me, becasue there is no background check and these 'special' cylinders are not serialized. Is it a special case. My limited understanding (via internet reading) is you CANNOT modify the cap and ball pistol frame for ctg firing? The cylinder must be a drop in. I cannot imagine why, in a world where I can scratch build a 1911? In any case, you can buy the conversion cylinders from many reputable dealers like Track of the Wolf, etc. The conversion is a PIA to load. I do not recommend it. Just talking here.

Keep this in mind you can build a gun for yourself. You cannot build and sell them without following a whole new set of rules. CVA and TC have to follow different rules. Also CVA and TC sell guns world wide and may choose to comply to a wider set of rules than a local builder might.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here is my take on making the CVA Optima V2 pistol into a carbine.

1. We know that it is legal to do so. From either direction. Rifle into carbine, and pistol into carbine.

2. Since there is NO FACTORY BUILT-IN INTETCHANGEABILITY between the Optima V2 pistol and rifle........a) pistol barrel will not fit on rifle reciever......b) pistol and rifle forearms will not interchange......c) pistol grip from pistol, and buttstock from rifle will not interchange due to very different angles of attachment to recievers.

3. Because of #3 custom machine work is going to be required.

4. If the end goal is to have a carbine with a M4-like, ambidextrous pistol grip (this seems to be a common theme), that will accept any number of mil-spec, aftermarket buttstocks; then I would start with the Optima V2 Rifle because the grip angle of attachment is going to be closer to what you will end up with, and probably require less money to custom machine/modify.

Just my take on it. This is the 4th, or 5th post on this subject in the past 8-10 months.

Seems to be a bit of interest in this modification.

Edit to the above

Based on what I know about shooting handguns, the M4 grip angle does not seem as if it would be very comfortable to shoot when the carbine's buttstock was removed, and the carbine was in a pistol configuration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. The problem is not about having a carbine. The problem is the desire to have one gun to swap back and forth. My take, if you want a pistol you grab an Optima while they are avaialble. If you want a short carbine, choose a rifle and cut it back. I think the wolf might be a good canditate for a carbine becasue the barrel is not fluted and it is only $200. If you need to pay to get the work done, $50 should cover cutting the barrel and crown. All in all, this lack of interchangeability is disappointing.

Back