Attention Ruger .22 pistol owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a Browning and HiStandard back around 1973/4 and those two served me well until I retired. Over that time, cheap cost won the day and Ruger ran the completion either out of business or into extremely low volume production. I thought the Mk I looked cheap. Now I own a couple MK x and with Youtube I found them easy to take down, upgrade trigger and re-assemble. It is a much better gun than I had appreciated. Except for the one thing. My hat is off to anyone who did that assembly in the pre-internet days.

A couple of years ago I bought the Ruger SR1911. I love the gun and it shoots better than I can. The only thing I don't like about it is it's hard to rack the slide back. I'm sure I could probably get a different spring for it. Heard I should get a 17lb spring? I emailed Ruger about what could be done a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't received a response from them. To be honest I even forgot about it until I started to post this.
If you want to try a few different springs, I got this kit from M*Carbo (I didn't pick that name for them) for my Kimber and it lets me play with gnat fart/softball loads on the 14 pound spring, while the 18 pounder handles hotter loads without detectibly undue rearward slide impact. There's also a 16 pound spring in the kit, right now on sale for $18 plus $6 shipping.
https://www.mcarbo.com/1911-pistols-max-control-recoil-springs.aspx
I have a 20 pound Wilson Combat spring from Brownell's waiting for the next time I roll some +P level loads; it's really overkill for standard loads and makes the slide a bear to retract - but Brownell's has a great selection.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-p...nment-flat-wire-recoil-springs-prod97765.aspx

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I bought the Ruger SR1911. I love the gun and it shoots better than I can. The only thing I don't like about it is it's hard to rack the slide back. I'm sure I could probably get a different spring for it. Heard I should get a 17lb spring? I emailed Ruger about what could be done a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't received a response from them. To be honest I even forgot about it until I started to post this.
I have an SR1911 9mm target model, the only thing i did was change the grip. I may some day put a Firesight or Trij Nightsight on it. Such an accurate gun I don't want to change it too much.

There is a lot of considerations with the 1911. Or they are better understood than most pistols. And it is a lot to understand. I messed with these guns a whole lot and at the end of the day, I can now admit, I dont know as much as I thought I did at the time.

Most of the slide effort is in the hammer (main) spring. You can cock the gun, then rack the slide. You can carry it cock & locked. You carry cocked. Or you may not carry a 1911 and simply cock it before you rack it back. I would do this before messing with the springs.

Generally people match the spring to the load and that is often to prevent damage to the frame with heavy loads. On a match guns, the ammo maybe loaded very mild and the springs need be light. The stock hammer spring has a little extra power for reliable ignition. You can bring that down a tad. A light hammer will contribute a bit to a light trigger pull, as part of setting up the gun for competition. It a matter how light you can go with both springs and keep the gun working with the lightest ammo.

You can buy these little rubber bumper pads the go inside the slide, behind the link. Put one in and see how it looks after 200 rounds. Then consider the spring situation. The bad deal is too much spring can batter a gun closing or firing and too little spring can beat it up on opening. That goes for both springs. IMHO, the gun should be setup close to just right and not set for comfort.

I downloaded the Ruger manual. It states you can use 'any' commercial load. That suggest the gun is setup for +P. That would also suggest to me, the springs can both dialed back for standard hardball ammo. There should be a known convention for that. I would be surprised if Ruger is much help. Those rubber bumpers wont hurt anything.

I will put a plug in for Wolff on springs.

Looks like a solution for a non- existent problem.
I'm glad to see this part available for those who want to try it, even though you and I might not struggle with those pistols. Cars didn't always have headlamps; I might not feel totally dependent on mine, but not everyone has my night eyes so I'm glad headlamps are available to others.

For $200 (+/-) I can buy a blister-pack rifle, a box of pellets, and a pack of saboted bullets at my local Farm & Fleet. Then, after one range session to get 3 shots onto a paper plate at 50 yards, I could mortally wound some deer from a tree stand without any further research or refinement.

With that in mind, this whole forum is dedicated to solutions for non-existent problems - yet I still feel I have benefited greatly from the ideas shared here! Incremental improvements in manmade gadgetry took us from caves to the lunar surface.

Last edited:
I have an SR1911 9mm target model, the only thing i did was change the grip. I may some day put a Firesight or Trij Nightsight on it. Such an accurate gun I don't want to change it too much.
The steel framed Commander version calls my name every time I find one for sale. If they ever offer it bobtailed, my total cost might include a speeding ticket on my way to my LGS when it comes in!

My ruger sr22 is by far my favorite handgun
I've really got to try one of those - though I'm curious about the G44 right now. But it'll definitely be an SR22 before another Walther P22 - one of which I traded back for 60 cents on the dollar in store credit & fishing tackle after 4 consecutive disappointing inaugural range sessions. Gonna wait for more "average Joe" YouTube reviews on that Glock to make sure the ones tested by famed outdoor press icons have actually been representative of production run pistols. If I still have even the slightest apprehension on them by this time next year, an SR22 is definitely next.

Ive never owned th sr22 but i did have a walther p22. I never had any problems with it. But i did sell it because i wanted something a bit more accurate. That is one of only 2 guns that i dont think i should have kept

I've really got to try one of those - though I'm curious about the G44 right now. But it'll definitely be an SR22 before another Walther P22 - one of which I traded back for 60 cents on the dollar in store credit & fishing tackle after 4 consecutive disappointing inaugural range sessions. Gonna wait for more "average Joe" YouTube reviews on that Glock to make sure the ones tested by famed outdoor press icons have actually been representative of production run pistols. If I still have even the slightest apprehension on them by this time next year, an SR22 is definitely next.
I never got an sr22 because i have an sr9c, which i love. It is a very similar gun. I wanted something different.

Latest posts

Back