Attention Ruger .22 pistol owners

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here is a fairly new product called the Hammer Strut Support (HHS) for Ruger MK II, and MK III pistols for reassembly after field stripping the pistol down for cleaning. I just saw this product this week in a NRA magazine an ordered it from Amazon ($19.99). It only took me about ten minutes to install the HHS.

I had to follow the directions twice, but finally got the gun back to working order an its finally good an clean. I hated field stripping it down an even got a great deal due to the previous owner having the same problems an gave up. I offered him $150 and took it home.

Hope this helps you all, it works!!
https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/

I don't believe its needed in the newer Ruger .22 pistols. If I bought another one it would be the 22/45 just much easier to clean. Why Ruger went with that horrible design in the early pistols is a mystery. Guess someone smarter had to come along...

It exist all right, not so much now with this product fix, makes cleaning and reinstalling barrel assembly much easier!
How do you like that Ruger?
Years ago I decided to go from revolver (Ruger) to pistol. A shooting and hunting buddy had the Ruger and it caused him many problems. Been awhile, but I think a lot of it had to do with feeding and jamming with just about any ammunition. He advised me to not buy the Ruger, so I ended up with a Buckmark. So far been pretty happy with it.
Just wondering if you had/have similar problems like my buddy had?

How do you like that Ruger?
Years ago I decided to go from revolver (Ruger) to pistol. A shooting and hunting buddy had the Ruger and it caused him many problems. Been awhile, but I think a lot of it had to do with feeding and jamming with just about any ammunition. He advised me to not buy the Ruger, so I ended up with a Buckmark. So far been pretty happy with it.
Just wondering if you had/have similar problems like my buddy had?
I love it!! I have killed many squirrels with it with open sites. So far any ammo I have shot through it doesn't jam up as long as I keep it clean.
I had a Browning Nomad back in the 70's an was stupid to sell that one!

Last edited:
Ruger makes a fine weapon that I have owned. Love my 10/22! I haven't owned any caliber other than the .22LR, but I'm sure they are very well made an will stand the test of time if properly taken care of.

I love it!! I have killed many squirrels with it with open sites. So far any ammo I have shot through it doesn't jam up as long as I keep it clean.
I had a Browning Nomad back in the 70's an was stupid to sell that one!
Good to know.
I don't know if my buddy ever got his pistol issues resolved. I know he's as anal about keeping his firearms as clean as anyone, but for some reason it had a feeding problem. IIRC he even had extra mags and it would still jam. Accurate bugger though.
I ended up with the Buckmark Pro Target 5.5" Bull. I also have a very early model Colt Pre-Woodsman. That stays in the safe, although I do have a brick of standard velocity that I could shoot it with.

A couple of years ago I bought the Ruger SR1911. I love the gun and it shoots better than I can. The only thing I don't like about it is it's hard to rack the slide back. I'm sure I could probably get a different spring for it. Heard I should get a 17lb spring? I emailed Ruger about what could be done a couple of weeks ago, but I haven't received a response from them. To be honest I even forgot about it until I started to post this.

my 10/22 is barely recognizable anymore it's so modded. My next Ruger will be the Precision bolt in .17hmr i think. maybe .22wmr

My youngest grandson just purchased the Ruger Precision Rimfire 22LR at a SCI banquet that he was at with his dad. He said it was a fun gun to shoot. He put on whatever cheap scope he had so he could shoot it the next day. My son said it shot pretty good with the crappy scope that he put on it, but he's got to get a better scope and rings to see what it really can do.

I like .22 automatics and I have a High Standard Victor and a Browning Buckmark Target but I’ve always liked the Rugers. If you were in the market for a Ruger would you buy a new Mark IV or one of the previous models used?

I own a MkIII and am happy with it despite having initially found difficulty reassembling following cleaning. Between the installation of a HSS and having learned how not to do things, life is good these days. Also, I have installed Volquartsen trigger, hammer and sear; so, the trigger breaks cleanly at just over 2 #. It is an accurate and sweet shooting gun.

I like .22 automatics and I have a High Standard Victor and a Browning Buckmark Target but I’ve always liked the Rugers. If you were in the market for a Ruger would you buy a new Mark IV or one of the previous models used?
If I was to get another Ruger .22LR pistol I would get the newer Mark IV. I'm sure its just as accurate as the previous models, but with the easier take down that would close the deal for me.

If I was to get another Ruger .22LR pistol I would get the newer Mark IV. I'm sure its just as accurate as the previous models, but with the easier take down that would close the deal for me.
Takedown is easy on all models - it's getting the S.O.B.s back together again that provokes expletives with pre-Mark IV models! Fortunately, I've been shooting & cleaning them since I was a kid, and figured out the right yoga moves to get the mainspring housing properly aligned with the hammer strut when I was young.

I've had a Mark II, Mark III, a 22/45 Lite, as well as a few special edition roll marked models as "investment" guns, and even an AMT Lightning that my dad gave me after I finished my first overseas tour of duty. But right now the only one in the safe is the one I started on - Granddad's (on my mom's side) 1950's Standard model with black eagle grips, and a 5-digit serial number. Still accurate and fun to shoot, the only thing it has ever needed was a new recoil spring assembly about 20 years ago. Unlike the later models I've owned, it has never been fussy about what I feed it so long as I stick to 36 and 40 grain round nosed bullet standard and high velocity ammo.

Cosmetically, it has suffered a few gouges on the mainspring housing where Granddad used a steel can piercer, screwdriver, or pocketknife blade to jimmy the takedown lever out, and bluing is widely worn off around the grip. That's okay; it's no safe queen. It sometimes accompanies me on fall walks, and still pots the occasional squirrel. It takes down the sawed-off heads of bowling pins when I shoot rimfire class just as well as my red dot sighted 22/45 did. The 22/45 may have accommodated optics, but I got tired of claiming alibis. I rarely place high and often don't even reach the top 50%, but overall my times are a lot better without the misfeeds - even with the Standard's plain blued blade and square notch mocking my middle-aged vision.

In a few short years, Iowa will let my daughter put her hands on it under my supervision, so it can be the same first handgun for both of us.

Last edited:
I would either buy a mkiv or another mkiii. Google frankenruger for some cool mk's !

Back