Autumn the Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Realized I hadn't shot her in 6 days shy of a year.
SHAME!
So. Off to the range we go with 10 rounds of the goood stuff. 250 grain 45 XTPs, Harvester crush ribs and 70 grains of 3f Swiss. 1610 fps chrono'd. Factory bead and aperture sights.
First 3 at 100 were 1& 1/16 with 2 touching. Next 3 were 1&3/4. Pulled one...
Last 3 were 11/16ths with 2 touching.
Yes indeed! Sidelocks CAN SHOOT!
Glad she doesn't hold a grudge.

Realized I hadn't shot her in 6 days shy of a year.
SHAME!
So. Off to the range we go with 10 rounds of the goood stuff. 250 grain 45 XTPs, Harvester crush ribs and 70 grains of 3f Swiss. 1610 fps chrono'd. Factory bead and aperture sights.
First 3 at 100 were 1& 1/16 with 2 touching. Next 3 were 1&3/4. Pulled one...
Last 3 were 11/16ths with 2 touching.
Yes indeed! Sidelocks CAN SHOOT!
Glad she doesn't hold a grudge.
You have much better eyes than I do. I am content with 1" or a little under for hunting @100yds (with) a scope. Good shooting and glad you and your jilted (ha ha) friend got back together.

I've found that the proper size aperture gives a slight magnifying effect. There's an optical term for it.
I'm almost as good to 200 yards with a proper aperture, as I am with a 4x scope. With my old No4 Enfield, I could keep 10 in 6 inches at 300 yards. I do miss that rifle.
Autumn is a forgiving girl...

Well.
She wasn't completely forgiving...
Shooting a rifle buttplate off the bench requires a rather upright posture, lest recoil rotate the upper ( sharp) edge into your upper arm/ shoulde joint area.
I forgot that...
She did lay a recoil hickey on me.
Ok girl. I am sufficiently chastised for letting you languish so long...

Back