Az Javelina Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hac

Reaction score
Well after 3 days and 30 plus miles on foot, my buddy and I double down on the same day. The first 2 mornings started out will temps in the mid 20's and windy. Day 3 was 36 degrees and we managed to get to a high point to glass the bottoms of drainage beds, I spot 4 pigs and go after them, after a hour or so I made it to about 220 yards the wind shifted and I was made, watching 2 of the 4 go over a small hill. I gave them 15 minutes to calm down and I begin after them, slowly making my way over the hill, and I spot them feeding I raise my weapon at 78 yards and down goes the pig
rsz_20190210_104056.jpg rsz_20190210_174237.jpg

The weapon I used is a knight disc elite, W209, 80gr by weight of BH209, harvester crushed rib blue sabot and a 200gr SST.
The pics show the entrance and exit at 78 yards the last picture is his cutters

rsz_20190210_122122.jpg rsz_20190210_122127.jpg rsz_120190210_122145.jpg rsz_20190210_122155.jpg

Congrats on your success, thanks for sharing. Let us know how they eat.

Congrats on your success, thanks for sharing. Let us know how they eat.
I dropped it off at the processor yesterday on the way home from the field, I had them make half green chilli chorizo and the other half regular chorizo

Well after 3 days and 30 plus miles on foot, my buddy and I double down on the same day. The first 2 mornings started out will temps in the mid 20's and windy. Day 3 was 36 degrees and we managed to get to a high point to glass the bottoms of drainage beds, I spot 4 pigs and go after them, after a hour or so I made it to about 220 yards the wind shifted and I was made, watching 2 of the 4 go over a small hill. I gave them 15 minutes to calm down and I begin after them, slowly making my way over the hill, and I spot them feeding I raise my weapon at 78 yards and down goes the pig
View attachment 3760 View attachment 3761
Nice pigs what unit were you in ?

Nice! I hunted with a bow for AZ javelina for years. A blast. When it is cold, they'll be in sunny saddles early eathing shin daggers (lechuguilla) like artichokes. When windy, they'll be out of the wind. Here's a recipe a friend gave me for javelina. Best I've tried. It tastes like corned beef.

As recorded by George Leonard Herter in his book: Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices. It even works well on old boars and I don't fix javelina any other way, in fact, fixed that way javelina is by far my favorite game meat. Try it sometime.

For starters, to minimize gam-eyness, you gotta get the critter skinned right away, within minutes of the kill. Then you cut em up and put the pieces in a plastic bucket with a gallon of water, 2 cups of Morton Sugar Cure, and 1 ounce of pickling spice. Let the meat cure for 2 weeks at 38 degrees and then wrap and freeze it. It sounds like a lot of fuss but it isn't really, and it is a good way to keep the meat clean and safe between camp and home. I use one of those 5 gallon paint buckets with a snap-on lid.

To cook, put a chunk of meat in a pressure cooker. Cover with water. Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground clove, 4 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and one small chopped onion. Pressure cook for an hour or until tender.

According to Herter, "People who would never eat javelina will ask for seconds when prepared in this manner.The soy sauce and cinnamon are century-old Chinese tricks to destroy the odor and musk taste in pork, and they work magically well on javelina."

Nice! I hunted with a bow for AZ javelina for years. A blast. When it is cold, they'll be in sunny saddles early eathing shin daggers (lechuguilla) like artichokes. When windy, they'll be out of the wind. Here's a recipe a friend gave me for javelina. Best I've tried. It tastes like corned beef.

As recorded by George Leonard Herter in his book: Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices. It even works well on old boars and I don't fix javelina any other way, in fact, fixed that way javelina is by far my favorite game meat. Try it sometime.

For starters, to minimize gam-eyness, you gotta get the critter skinned right away, within minutes of the kill. Then you cut em up and put the pieces in a plastic bucket with a gallon of water, 2 cups of Morton Sugar Cure, and 1 ounce of pickling spice. Let the meat cure for 2 weeks at 38 degrees and then wrap and freeze it. It sounds like a lot of fuss but it isn't really, and it is a good way to keep the meat clean and safe between camp and home. I use one of those 5 gallon paint buckets with a snap-on lid.

To cook, put a chunk of meat in a pressure cooker. Cover with water. Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground clove, 4 Tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and one small chopped onion. Pressure cook for an hour or until tender.

According to Herter, "People who would never eat javelina will ask for seconds when prepared in this manner.The soy sauce and cinnamon are century-old Chinese tricks to destroy the odor and musk taste in pork, and they work magically well on javelina."

Today I'm making Tatemado Javelina rear quarter, a coworker got one and didn't want it so I took some meat from him to experiment so far so good

20190225_152437.jpg

Latest posts

Back