Baby Pumpkinseeds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
Had to try a pattern paint job and actually its not too bad.

kE6AgAE.jpg

Pumpkinseed Sunfish have always held my attention because I love the coloring in them. I also see a lot of them the same basic size of these tiny baits puked up by very large crappies. I'd sure hate to deny a slab a meal.

Nice! You can completely tell the look you were trying to imitate.

Pumpkinseeds have such a random coloration its just tough to get a good copy of it but the way I did these satisfies me now.

Here are some of the finished baits done on this tiny crankbait. They're water ready for whenever the water levels get down to fishing level and warm a hair.

9zViwxI.jpg

I have a boatload of un-finished bodies in this bait ordered. The more I work with it the more amazed I am with how well it all comes together. The small size was somewhat intimidating at first but as I played things really came together. All of the colors in the picture here have proven themselves in actual catching, hence the replication. I have a head full of other color ideas for when the ship comes in though. :dance2:

I did not realize those were that small till you put that dime in there! Those are really cool. I can't see Crappies and Bluegill and other panfish passing those up.

Nice Job on the coloring!

They still look larger than they are Shawn. The dime in the pic is two dimensional while the baits are three dimensional and the angle the picture was taken at muddles things too. I was attempting to have the natural light play with the color shifting top coat and succeeded only marginally. The baits and the dime are very close to the same diameter. In this little "quest", as I call it, into the realm of super small crankbaits I'm learning a lot about painting techniques and pressure regulation in the airbrush.....lots of tricks. Ma gets testy at times because I spend so much time painting and dabbling with the little guys but I find it very relaxing and super satisfying work.

Latest posts

Back