Back at the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took the little Optima carbine out this morning. I only had time for a half dozen shots.
At 50 yards, I held my aim at the 6 o'clock and took 3 shots, next 3 I held my aim a bit higher. Did pretty good. Patched round ball, 60 grains of 3f Swiss. New patches this morning, .010 thick cotton lubed with spit.
20210501_101046.jpg

Have you tried a lower powder charge? Like 45-55 grains? Maybe even as low as 30-35 grains?

Fast twist barrels, like the 1:28" twist in the Optima V2 pistol, in general, give better accuracy with lower powder charges than do round ball twist rifled barrels with 1:48" twists, and slower.

40-45 grains is about all the powder you can cram in a modern replica of a Walker Colt pistol using a bullet, and it will kill a deer out to 50 yards deader than a doorknob.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't yet. I did notice that with the 60 grain charge, I found less fouling in the barrel. Maybe the patched ball helps? My CVA mountain pistol is dead on accurate out to 25 yards with only a 35 grain charge and I wouldn't hesitate to make a shot on a deer with it at that range.

Back