Back Into the Black (powder)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roamin' Roman

Reaction score
After 20+ years, I've got a "new" smoke pole. Things have changed. Sabots were just becoming popular, and I don't even remember the inlines being a thing.
Now, I've got a stainless CVA Accura, and am back at the bottom of the learning curve. I don't mind, but I think I'm going to miss the old 350 grain lead conicals I used to shoot. At least until I learn more about the sabots, how to load them properly, and how much powder to put behind them.
Thank you all for being here, and sharing your knowledge. I've got a lot to learn, and probably unlearn. I'll be leaning heavily on the forum while I figure it out.
And... Hello from northeast Alabama!

After 20+ years, I've got a "new" smoke pole. Things have changed. Sabots were just becoming popular, and I don't even remember the inlines being a thing.
Now, I've got a stainless CVA Accura, and am back at the bottom of the learning curve. I don't mind, but I think I'm going to miss the old 350 grain lead conicals I used to shoot. At least until I learn more about the sabots, how to load them properly, and how much powder to put behind them.
Thank you all for being here, and sharing your knowledge. I've got a lot to learn, and probably unlearn. I'll be leaning heavily on the forum while I figure it out.
And... Hello from northeast Alabama!
welcome to the group. You're definitely in the right place. Kind regards

Welcome to the Forum, Roman. I’m in the Huntsville area. My quest to find the best Blackhorn/bullet combination continues for my CVA. I’ll be interested to follow your efforts with your Accura. I just sold my Accura and bought an Optima, mainly for the weight difference. My Accura shot very well, even had a couple of MOA groups with a bullet that’s no longer available, and I’m confident you’ll enjoy yours.

I need to apologize to all of you. What I wound up getting is the Optima, as a gift when my brother-in-law upgraded. I'd been to a local shop, and picked out he Accura for myself, and the name stuck so solid in my head that I misidentified the rifle. Sorry folks.

deerlessbob, don't hold me to this, but... I'm getting 3" groups at 150 yards with the 250 grain, .451" green (or maybe blue? colorblind, so take it with 2 grains of salt) ballistic tips in the white sabots they sell prepackaged at Bass Pro Shops using 120 grains (2 pellets) of the Triple Se7en Magnums, and Winchester primers.
I don't need 150 yards where I am going to be hunting, and really want to try using a 350 grain conical, and 100 grains (measured, not weighed) of ff Hodgdon Pyrodex. That was a serious deer stopper in my old Traditions sidelock I had back in the '90s. I'll give it a try when I can afford to, and have time. Both time, and spare cash are in short supply right now.
I'm located the other side of Gadsden from you, a little town called Centre. I think we've got 6 intersections with traffic lights.

Roman, there has been a lot of good info shared on this site. Suggest you use the search feature in the forum to search for information on things like best loads for an Optima, bullet performance by brand name, powder charges, etc.. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back