Back to Muzzel Loaders ! A couple of questions.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rbrown

Reaction score
I've decided to get back into muzzle loaders after a LONG pause (think 25+years). I just picked up a CVA Optima V2 and it sure is different from
what we used to shoot. A couple of questions concerning the new rifle. The first is: On the new rifle do I need to "seat" the breech plug
or was that taken care of at the factory? It didn't come with any type of wrench that looks proper (If I actually need to do it myself). The second
question (since I have been into center-fire target shooting) : Would there be any benefit cleaning from the breech end of the barrel to avoid messing
up the barrel crown? I really hope not since this would be a real pain when cleaning between every two or so shots. Maybe I worry too much......

Just askin'

If youre the first owner/user of it then yes you need to use the L shaped wrench to crank the BP down initially. After that its a hand tight breech plug. If youre not the first user it should have been done already but a new breech plug will need to be cranked down tight as well on its first use. Cleaning from the breech or the muzzle is up to you. There is some debate about how hard it is to actually damage the crown enough to be noticed by a typical hunter as opposed to a target shooter.

If youre the first owner/user of it then yes you need to use the L shaped wrench to crank the BP down initially. After that its a hand tight breech plug. If youre not the first user it should have been done already but a new breech plug will need to be cranked down tight as well on its first use. Cleaning from the breech or the muzzle is up to you. There is some debate about how hard it is to actually damage the crown enough to be noticed by a typical hunter as opposed to a target shooter.

The rifle is new and did not come with any type of "L" wrench. Any options to the factory wrench? As to cleaning,I remember reading about black powder "target" shooters who would use a false crown that was used for cleaning and loading. Of course that was in the side-lock days.. Thanks for the reply.
Bob (learning my a$$ off)

Does it open and close with the breech plug installed? Was it installed when you bought it ? If so you should be ok.

Before you shoot it, make sure you have a handle on disassembly for cleaning. Since you’re verse with M-L shooting, you know about care.

I always try to do a rod from the breech end of any gun where it’s possible. With a few, like a lever-action one just has to do carefully from the muzzle.

Even with a modern M-L, they require more fiddling & upkeep than the average smokeless rifle. It’s part of the process. How many M-L’s have met their demise when an owner cased & left a gun after firing it?

Thanks for the suggestions.. I know where to come if I have other questions or problems (or just need a few
suggestions.)

Latest posts

Back