Backing Off Full Form Die

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alternate

Reaction score
I have a full form die that I been progressively tightening to work up a load with one bullet. Now I want to try other bullets which would require backing the die out and starting over but the die won't budge. Has anyone out there had this problem and solved it?

Back it off a couple turns, then run a new bullet thru the die, it should spring back. Good luck.

Hankins Dies come with an Expander Ball For this, i imagine the expander ball is Really Hard? I have no hands on experience with the Adjustable Sizers

Which brand of die? You can’t adjust the die? or you backed it off and the barrel drop won’t spring back?
I can back off the adjuster but the barrel drop is jammed. I ran some bullets thru but no luck. I don't remember the die brand but it's the one most of the guy's use on Dougs Message Board. I'm reluctant to turn something that will force it out because I don't want to damage the rifling.

Try to run a copper solid bullet through it to see if it will open up it will size much harder than a cup and core bullet so it should open the size of the drop.

I don't have any solid copper bullets but I sized a half dozen Hornady FTX .458's with the big Allen head adjusting screw completely removed and nothing budges. I couldn't get them thru with my loading press so pushed them thru with a 20 ton shop press. I'm gonna email SWINGLOK and see what ideas they have. They say in their propaganda that backing off the adjuster and resizing bullets will open up the die but that has failed. My last resort will be to bore the die body .010 oversize below the barrel drop and machine a plug that will blow every thing outta there.

I have a full form die that I been progressively tightening to work up a load with one bullet. Now I want to try other bullets which would require backing the die out and starting over but the die won't budge. Has anyone out there had this problem and solved it?
Picture please ?

Latest posts

Back