Backing off on the powder....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm rambling but with my newish cva scout smokeless conversion I have failed to get great groups with the stouter lods alot of the other guys shoot out of those same guns. I dropped back to 45 gr. of Imr 4227 and a barnes 250 tez bullet and wool wad and it shoots 3/4" groups at 104 yds. thats a very mild load , but dont use any of that type powder in a non smokeless gun, I'm just saying I have never had any luck shooting a stout load out of anything, and have wasted alot of money trying, lol

Me and Baby Girl have used 40 grains of 3f T7 and a TC Cheap Shot in a Traditions Tracker ( lit with musket caps) for 16 years. I took 4 deer with that combo. Same for Valerie. Chrono'd muzzle velocity is 1350 fps. 100 yard groups around 2 inches. We've taken deer from 15 feet ( me) to 125 yards ( Valerie). Only 1 required a 2nd shot( mine) and none were a long track.
Light loads DO work. But bullet choice becomes critical. Cheap Shots are a fine bullet ( 240 lead h.p. .45 caliber), and the 200-250 grain Hornady XTP's, again, 45 caliber, would also be a fine choice.
Light is quite nice sometimes. At the very least, it makes a pound of powder last a bit longer.

Redear, What kind of bullets have you tried in your scout conversion other than the 250 TEZ ? Especially with heavier loads. What types of powder?

Back