Backyard Bear

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My kid came home one summer from college as a vegetarian. That phase did not last long in the face of good cooking and no support group.

Tomorrow is 49 years to the day that in response to greetings from my friends and neighbors I took a ride on the 'hound. One pound lighter and they would have passed me by. I'm 50 pounds heavier now. Body fat is still about 10 to 15%. Abs are visible. For the most part I eat like a pig, and meat protein is a big part of the diet.

Well lets not talk about body fat. I have seen better days and years, but i never expected to see 70 of those years. To me, an ex Marine, a retired machinist, a husband, a father, a grandfather, and a great grandfather is all i could ever ask for but i digress. Still no eat bear.
DL

Same same here… I never expected to grow old. And some of it’s a bitter pill (my 97 year old father in law says getting old “ain’t for sissies!” To which I reply, “being young had it’s moments too…”) but love from the kids, grand and great grand babies has been ample compensation! I’ve been far luckier than I have deserved.

I remember when my grandmother went from an assisted living apartment, to living in a nursing home. She was 92 years old at the time of the move. She managed to live on until she was two weeks shy of her 105th birthday. At the end she only recognized my mother, and my aunt.

"Getting old ain't for sissies", is certainly my mantra. Some days are great, some days suck, most are someplace in between the two extremes.

All are better than the alternative.

May GOD bless us all!!!

My daughter-in-law is from Mexico, where they don't have nursing homes. I believe that is a good thing, and I think my future doesn't hold a nursing home. My mother-in-law lived to 94 in our house, and it was a blessing to us all.

I tell my hunting buddy that I hope to die of a heart attack right after shooting the biggest elk of my life. He says he'll debone me to carry me out just like we do the elk. I'm o.k. with that.

I can think of no better way to leave this vale of tears than to be out in nature actively hunting, or fishing. Even just sitting on top of a rise looking out over one of nature's wondrous sights would be OK with me.

I want to go out like Brad Pitt's character Tristan Ludlow in The Legends of the Fall, with a tomahawk in my right hand, and a 13" Bowie knife in my left hand, fighting an angry grizzly bear, or mountain lion.

At its core, what do you think that movie was about?

Interesting answer, and I can see the implications of that in the movie, but were there not parts in the movie where the main character shunned responsibility and resorted to violence and drink?

Sometimes in some situations, accepting responsibility can shatter a man. Doing what you believe is right or correct can have absolutely devastating consequences. It is about PTSD, the destruction of self in order to do what you believe necessary, the hell of living with the consequences of that destruction, and redemption.

For eons, philosophers have argued about the dual nature of man. The physical and the non physical that is the persona of the person. Cutting out your dead brother's heart to bury it at home has the ability to tear asunder the bond between the two aspects of man.

A psychologist telling you about PTSD is like a man telling you about giving birth. The situation can be witnessed, but the situation has to be lived to be truly understood. I have often wondered what the person writing the novel lived through in order to comprehend what was being put on paper. Or was it just dumb luck that he portrayed PTSD as accurately as he did?

Back