BACO .443-400 Test (Stainless GM LRH)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I made up a batch of these BACO .443-400 Bullets yesterday of 1-20 Alloy, I wanted to run them through my 1:30 Twist, I happen to have a Stainless GM LRH, and a Blued one. My main reason for doing this was to send some down to Idahoron to Shoot in his New Long Range Renegade with Stainless .45 Cal 1:30 Twist GM LRH Barrel. Since i have the EXACT same Stainless Barrel I decided to Test a Group of these in it this morning before sending them to Ron

These Bullets
yDBjT6o.jpg

OuIxled.jpg

Patched with Strathmore 300 Series Tracing Paper
otbT2rB.jpg

My Rifle
Lr9tTlC.jpg

My same little 60 Yard Pit, Different day, different gun here in this Pic
LiF4lvt.jpg

Here is the little Video of it. I won’t be back here again til Spring, I had to back up and get a Run to get back up on the Rd :p

60 Yards, 3 Shot Group measures .900 outside edge to outside edge, subtract .442 for the Bullet Diameter, you end up with a 3 Shot Group size of .458, I hope they Shoot as well for you as they Do for me Ron. I have had this Bullet to 825 Yards before, But that was in a 1:20 Twist Mountaineer, and of all things my 1,000 Dollar Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 Scope Fell apart on that Trip. I have COMPLETE Confidence in this Bullet, It FLAT OUT Shoots :lewis:
SHHSNPq.jpg

You know, there’s a vacant 5 acres near me. You could shoot down here, same place, all year long😁.
Hopefully this winter has been the “norm” we didn’t get hardly any snow so far.
I know the spring snow storms here are when we can get really dumped on. Hopefully it just rains.

That rifle is one he'll of a shooter.

On another note, i recently saw some photos of cast bullets in Australia. Not throwing that guy under the bus but it really puts the quality of yours into perspective.

Awesome, I appreciate the bullets. I have a lot of different paper for paper patching. I did decide to order the same paper you have to do testing with. I really like the look of this bullet.

Why would ya be using a piece of cotton ball under those bullets?

That rifle is one he'll of a shooter.

On another note, i recently saw some photos of cast bullets in Australia. Not throwing that guy under the bus but it really puts the quality of yours into perspective.

It is EXTREMELY Difficult to find high quality Cast Bullets. There is a Guy in our area that Casts for Sport shops Etc. I wouldn’t take His Bullets home unless they were free for the Lead. You can see Wrinkles in them, Holes in the Bases, They are packaged together so they Can bang against eachother, JUNK

I thought i had heard Lewis mention a half ball of cotton to protect that hollow base. May have been someone else tho.

That was me :lewis: Something i started doing quite some time ago with Patched Roundball, It works really well With a Cupped Base bullet, or Roundball. Unlike a Flat Over powder wad, A Cotton Ball will Form to the base of those types of Projectiles, a Flat Over Powder Wad can NOT. 1/2 of a Cotton Ball is plenty, The down side is they can Catch fire.

That was me :lewis: Something i started doing quite some time ago with Patched Roundball, It works really well With a Cupped Base bullet, or Roundball. Unlike a Flat Over powder wad, A Cotton Ball will Form to the base of those types of Projectiles, a Flat Over Powder Wad can NOT. 1/2 of a Cotton Ball is plenty, The down side is they can Catch fire.
If we don’t get some snow this winter we’re gonna be concerned about fire from our front loaders come spring!

If we don’t get some snow this winter we’re gonna be concerned about fire from our front loaders come spring!

This is BY FAR the Mildest Winter THUS far since i have lived here in North Idaho (10-11 Years) We normally have 2 Ft of Snow or more here in Town, We have NONE right now, I am looking at Green Grass. The Only Snow we have are the little Piles from where its been plowed the Few times we have gotten Snow. That said, i have Seen February make up enough Snow for ALL months Combined, So it aint over yet :D But thus far into it, it’s an ODD Year

I made up a batch of these BACO .443-400 Bullets yesterday of 1-20 Alloy, I wanted to run them through my 1:30 Twist, I happen to have a Stainless GM LRH, and a Blued one. My main reason for doing this was to send some down to Idahoron to Shoot in his New Long Range Renegade with Stainless .45 Cal 1:30 Twist GM LRH Barrel. Since i have the EXACT same Stainless Barrel I decided to Test a Group of these in it this morning before sending them to Ron

These Bullets
yDBjT6o.jpg

OuIxled.jpg

Patched with Strathmore 300 Series Tracing Paper
otbT2rB.jpg

My Rifle
Lr9tTlC.jpg

My same little 60 Yard Pit, Different day, different gun here in this Pic
LiF4lvt.jpg

Here is the little Video of it. I won’t be back here again til Spring, I had to back up and get a Run to get back up on the Rd :p

60 Yards, 3 Shot Group measures .900 outside edge to outside edge, subtract .442 for the Bullet Diameter, you end up with a 3 Shot Group size of .458, I hope they Shoot as well for you as they Do for me Ron. I have had this Bullet to 825 Yards before, But that was in a 1:20 Twist Mountaineer, and of all things my 1,000 Dollar Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 Scope Fell apart on that Trip. I have COMPLETE Confidence in this Bullet, It FLAT OUT Shoots :lewis:
SHHSNPq.jpg

I got them early. Now all I have to do is find some days that the wind is now howling.
I did pick up some of the paper that your using. I wanted to give it a try too.
I also wanted to try that paper with my 11mm bullets.

I got them early. Now all I have to do is find some days that the wind is now howling.

Good deal Ron! I hope they shoot well for ya, That Bullet will stay with it WAY out there :lewis:

That paper i am using (Strathmore 300 Series Tracing Paper) is some Odd Stuff, It has a tendency to “Curl” With any moisture, even slight perspiration from your Hands. But I have had no issues with it, I have shot my ABSOLUTE Best Paper Patch Shoots, And Groups with this Paper, it beats my Old 9# 25% Cotton Onion Skin HANDS DOWN, in fact i rarely use my Old Onion Skin Paper anymore. Patching Paper is like Grease for Grease Groove Bullets, Different papers Shoot better than others, same as Different Grease/Lube shoots better/worse, The slight differences can Make or Break Accuracy, i have witnessed it MANY times with Both PP and GG

I hear ya on Wind, you guy’s have it WAY beyond us up here, Today was HORRIBLE up here, We had a Wind Storm come in last night, and ALL day today, It would push you around on the Rd, i had to keep both hands on the Wheel & Correct from Wind Hitting me. Trees Down ALL OVER the place Here. It’s Calm now :lewis:

That Mold was in & out of Surgery Today, It went through it well, The Surgeon is one of the Best around :lewis:

This is a FAR Better System than Before. Note the little Groove cut in the lower Mold Halves, And the new Cupped base Core pin has a Lip around it that Fits in those Grooves, It’s a SLICK Setup, And Casts like a Dream :lewis: Also the Screws, instead of Being Threaded in the upper portion of the Blocks pulling Downward, they are now in the Bottom. This is an AWESOME Setup!
ANIhXnO.jpg

I had wind and rain all night, left this am and played in Idaho. Came home at 2pm to a 150 ft tree thru my house and NO power. The transformer was hanging by 2 little wires. So I called the power company and the insurance co and I'm sittin in a motel! And yes that's a awesome looking mould. I never tried a hollow base before, all flat base.

I had wind and rain all night, left this am and played in Idaho. Came home at 2pm to a 150 ft tree thru my house and NO power. The transformer was hanging by 2 little wires. So I called the power company and the insurance co and I'm sittin in a motel! And yes that's a awesome looking mould. I never tried a hollow base before, all flat base.

That’s HORRIBLE Mike! Now what do you do? It was NASTY Windy here all Day, Ive made DARN sure there isn’t a Tree anywhere near that can Hit our Home. Being a Timber faller at Trade since out of High School I know what Trees Can do, I have seen about everything you can possibly imagine, and then some

Hopefully power back on today. I try to save motel time for hunting in eastern Montana. We'll see what the insurance co says.

Back