Bacon makin time.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
I picked up a couple bellies a week or so ago and flipped them in the freezer until Saturday, then thawed them and got the sugar/cure on them Sunday. I brought the tote in this morning and rinsed the bellies and dried them while the smoker was getting wound up. After about four hours of applewood smoke I let the smoker exhaust itself and cool down a bit. Here they are, ready for slicing, after they mellow a couple days.

The smaller belly weighs in at about 5-1/2 pounds. The larger on right at 6 pounds.

it6NKfm.jpg

Of all the meats I smoke, I think bacon has the most appealing smell to it. The sugar and cure have no flavorings in the mix and the raw pork smells like raw pork, but after a few hours in the smoker the meat smells like bacon. Not smoked pork, but bacon. Intriguing. Allowing the meat to rest after the smoking lets some of the heavy smoke smell/taste thin out a little. The ends that remain after slicing get chopped up coarse and put in the bean pot with , of course, beans and the fixings to make baked beans. Getting myself ready for some fine dining.

Absolutely delicious looking. With deer season over its time to start winter projects. That is number 2 on my list after keilbasi. Way to go Mrtom. 👍👍

11 packages of wonderful. Of course I had to put some in the pan while I was slicing and vacuum sealing. Unreal good. Just the right balance of salty and sweet. Now I'm back to watching for bellies to go on sale again Darned hard to beat home-made bacon.

Latest posts

Back