Bad Powder?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antman

Reaction score
I have been shooting a new muzzleloader a CVA Paramount. I have been using triple 7(I have on order blackhorn 209 but not here yet). Also shooting Hornady SST 40 cal sabots and they have been dead accurate at 100 yards with 100 grains. I ran out and bought the same powder at a different store. Lot # is from this year 2019, the initial powder that shot well was from 2016. So I introduce this new powder same thing at 100 grains and I am missing a large rifle target and its up and down and all over the place, even at 50 yards sometimes missing the whole target maybe a foot off, or more. I was able to go to the original store and get more of the 2016 powder and groups were back to basically the same ragged hole at 100 yards. I did weigh both lots and the 2019 powder 100 by volume weighed 86 grains. The 2016 powder 100 by volume weighed 74 grains. It does combust and it kicks, doesnt feel weak. Just inaccuracy to the max. Any ideas? just get rid of the powder? use less grains was only thing i didn't try. I tried a couple shots at 130g by volume but that didn't help.
Thanks,
Ant....

Try a reduced charge,if accuracy doesn’t improve, then email Hodgdon and explain to them your situation. Hopefully they can help. It would bug me to no end not knowing what the problem is. Hodgdon needs to know.

I'd try backing down the 2019 powder in volume until the weight equaled that of the 2016 and try that to see if it made a difference.

I recently bought a jug of triple 7. I've seen the stickers on the bottom , how do u read them?

Not exactly sure but one ends in 16 and the jug has a handle. The one ending in 19 doesn't have a handle. Here is a pic after I got it re dialed in. I honestly thought my gun was screwed up but thankful it was a powder issue and not more serious. I am thinking the new powder may be to hot and is melting the sabot causing the bullet to go all over the place. Its the only thing I can think of so far.

20190824_100315.jpg

Last edited:
Inspect the fired sabots. I doubt the sabots are melting.

how do you find them? I've never seen one after I shoot. How far do they typically go?

On level ground usually 10 to 20 yds. When you find some and suspect damage, take a pic of them, particularly the gas seal. It’s not unusual for them to shed a petal or two.

Back