Bagged a nice tree

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbrown69

Reaction score
No deer for me but at least I had a chance. During doe season tried to shoot through a small hole in the brush, at maybe 50 yards. No rest or chance for a lean. Probably should have passed as I am not so good anymore off hand. As Maxwell Smart said, missed by that much! Drilled a small maple tree. Can live with it.

I can't hold still anymore either, but got me a Primos tripod that works great! All but one of my deer were killed using it this year, I used a tree to brace myself on the other. Stay with it, maybe next time!!

Killing a tree sure beats wounding a deer! We've all done it. First shot I ever took at a deer with a centerfire I took about a 200 yard shot on a doe. Went to where she was standing and I had center punched a poplar tree. It happens.

As "03mossy" said, "We've all done it."
You get credit for telling on yourself.
Just think, that doe will be bigger and fatter next year.

Bagged a small buck one morning, DRT at 30 yards. Walked up to him and saw 2 holes in him. Scratching my head I turned around and saw this...

pscXU8F.jpg

I did not have a camera and went back later to get the picture thats why it is dark. Done by a Knight 310 grain Lead HP over 100 grains of PyroRS.

HOLY MOLY Shawn! That was a DANDY you got there!! I’m not sure you could have got that shot more Square/Center with a Plumb, and Level :D

Missed elk last year due to 50 cal twig... Lost opportunity to take shot several days earlier due to being to picky (I wanted to eat the heart, not blow it up), so waited for better shot that never came, so as soon as I saw this elk several days later, I lined up and shot. Explosion of sound, smoke and snow (that was a clue I didn't get at first). When the smoke cleared all the elk just looked around for few seconds then ran back up the hill. No blood. It was getting dark, so I searched a while with headlamp. Went back the next morning for a better search. No blood anywhere. Went back to the original place where I shot (easy to see my butt marks in the snow under the spruce tree) and lined up to where the elk was standing... Then I see the broken twig; was right in front of the muzzle, but not in my line of sight... at least I know I didn't wound the elk.

HOLY MOLY Shawn! That was a DANDY you got there!! I’m not sure you could have got that shot more Square/Center with a Plumb, and Level :D

Your right.:D I knew the tree was there but the buck was right behind it, its not that big of a tree and I just needed to shoot to the left a couple inches. Problem was I was sitting on a hillside shelf with my feet dangling off the shelf and he came in behind me so I just turned as much as I could, Put the crosshair on him and squeezed the shot off and he just dropped like his feet was pulled out from under him. I guess the recoil moved me a few inches back to the right.:eek: At first I could not figure out why he had 2 holes in him a few inches apart, then turned and saw that tree.o_O The Bullet split a piece off and both hit him. Those Knight Lead bullets are about 9.5BHN so a bit hard. Idaho Ron has shot them too and thought they were on the hard side too.

Bagged a small buck one morning, DRT at 30 yards. Walked up to him and saw 2 holes in him. Scratching my head I turned around and saw this...

pscXU8F.jpg

I did not have a camera and went back later to get the picture thats why it is dark. Done by a Knight 310 grain Lead HP over 100 grains of PyroRS.

I cut a tree in half once with my .54 cal TC Scout pistol

Latest posts

Back