Balance point holds

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My new Browning mountain rifle is, slightly(!) muzzle heavy. 30 inch long barrel and 1 inch across the flats, go figure.
Her balance point is right at the front wedge. Holding her with my forward hand back between the rear wedge and trigger guard REALLY accentuates the muzzle heavy feel.
However. With the forward hand at the front wedge, she hangs nearly neutral. Even though my arm is farther extended, I can hold her steadier and longer.
Feels like a " Doh" moment, but if you haven't tried this, give it a go. Might help you as it has me and MAYBE increase the enjoyment of that big rifle.

My sidelock has a Green Mountain 1-66 barrel thats 32" long and 1" across. Very heavy. I love the steadiness I get when holding it freehand and its a rock when I shoot off of a rest. Its great for shooting at driven deer as it swings steadily. Also like the distance between the iron sights.

Because of the experience I had with that long MZ barrel I had a .243 Winchester varmint barrel made that was 26" long and an 1 1/4" in diameter from the chamber to the muzzle. It was very heavy. Put it on a rest it it was golden.

There's a real advantage to a heavy barrel. But they are beasts to drag around all day.

I've got a 1-66 33" long 1" across made from spare parts and I just finshed making a walnut stock from 3 walnut boards glued clamped and pressed together. she weighs 10 lbs 10.5 oz and is 54 1/2" butt to muzzle, and shoots great at 50 yds. next to see at 100 yds. Off hand can be a handful but it balances pretty well.

Back