Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base Cures QLA Again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Dream Season Omega with QLA will not shoot full bore bullets..........................oh yes it will. One just provides the Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base.

IMG_5081.JPG

Rifle has 1X scope to meet regulation. Powder charge is 95g Blackhorn. No wad; Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base instead. 275g Fury 50 caliber Star Tip MZ smooth sized for easy loading. CCI standard shotgun primers.

100 yard zero. First shot cold fouled barrel.

Very nice. That is an impressive group for sure.
I have seen you post about the sub bases others times as well. I bought some a while back, still have not gotten around to trying them in my Omegas. Thought I would try them with my 460 gr Bull Shops and No Excuses to see how they do.
What are your thoughts on using a wool wad on top of the sub base?

Nice shooting Ron. I’d make sure you have plenty of speed on those Fury’s if you plan on taking them to the Hunting Grounds.

FYI... my Z5 Omega shoots 300 Thor’s very well with the QLA intact. I guess they qualify as a FBC.

Hey Jeff,

Yes, when the Thor were tried in one of the Omega years ago, they shot decent. The hollow heel of the Thor more or less mimic the hollow of a sabot, or the hollow of the sub-base.

The 50 Star Tip Mz is quite soft compared to other Fury bullets. Am quite secure in using it for hunting. Especially since here one is held to 1X magnification, and therefore confined to relative short range.

LOOK HERE

Is there any reason that a sub base wouldn't work with a flat base lead bullet? Or do they require a bullet with a dished base? Also has anyone measured the outside diameter of the sub base? Considering trying in my White .504 bore. Most sabots are .498-.500 and don't seal the bore very tight upon loading.

I would like to try these in a .45 version.
I also wonder about using a felt wad under the sabot (40/45) 260gr .40 cal CE maX, 77gr wt/110gr measured BH.
If this performs as hoped keep upping charges approaching max in the Paramount until sabot/my shoulder failure. Then go to sub bases/wads behind sabot.
Nice shooting

I would like to try these in a .45 version.
I also wonder about using a felt wad under the sabot (40/45) 260gr .40 cal CE maX, 77gr wt/110gr measured BH.
If this performs as hoped keep upping charges approaching max in the Paramount until sabot/my shoulder failure. Then go to sub bases/wads behind sabot.
Nice shooting
So far I've not been able to find them in .45. I have to make my own out of a sabot. Let us know if you find a source for them in .45.

Is there any reason that a sub base wouldn't work with a flat base lead bullet? Or do they require a bullet with a dished base? Also has anyone measured the outside diameter of the sub base? Considering trying in my White .504 bore. Most sabots are .498-.500 and don't seal the bore very tight upon loading.
The bullets shot in this thread have flat base. The sub-base measure about 0.498" on average.

Just for curiosity, I wonder if a thick (1/2?) felt wad or even cream of wheat (filler) might work?
Thinking if the bullet is far enough ahead of the gases - the QLA would not have it’s negative effect.
My QLA before I cut it off was 0.006” out of concentric.
Thanks

Last edited:
That would be my choice, either veggie wads or wool wads especially full bore bullets, as plastic has its issues such as having an oil base which most or all are.

Oil and plastic leave residue when burnt. The wool and veggie wads as far as I know burn up as I have never found one after a shot like you would a sabot. With wool wads you can smell the burnt wool. I shoot only full bore now 45cal smooth sized. Also I experience as low as 2fps es with a wool wad. I can't speak about shooting lead conicals as all I shoot is jacketed or solid copper bullets.

I wonder if the sub based postpones the release of the gas pressure around the sides allowing the conical more time to exit the QLA cleanly?

Latest posts

Back