Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base Cures QLA Again

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both MMP and Harvester use and have been using the new generation of polymers, which leaves very little if any plastic residue.

Just for curiosity, I wonder if a thick (1/2?) felt wad or even cream of wheat (filler) might work?
Thinking if the bullet is far enough ahead of the gases - the QLA would not have it’s negative effect.............

Tried the ½" wad this morning.

IMG_5090.JPG

Two shots using the tall wad out 125 yard. Load differed from OP by using the ½" wad, and using 209A primers.

halfinchwad.jpg

Two shots revealed no use to continue. Changed back to the sub-base, and shot three more shots.

sub-base.jpg

what does the QLA accomplish?

The QLA makes it easier to load the bullet. By the time the bullet encounters the rifling, it is enclosed by the smooth beginnings of the barrel, which stabilizes the bullet as one begins to push it to the powder with the ramrod. The first 3/4" of the barrel is smooth with no rifling, however it ruins the accuracy of full bore bullets.

Myself, i have cut the QLA off of three rifles, but no longer will do so, because the ballistic bridge sub-base cures the issue of the QLA being non-centered, and wrecking accuracy.

The QLA makes it easier to load the bullet. By the time the bullet encounters the rifling, it is enclosed by the smooth beginnings of the barrel, which stabilizes the bullet as one begins to push it to the powder with the ramrod. The first 3/4" of the barrel is smooth with no rifling, however it ruins the accuracy of full bore bullets.

Myself, i have cut the QLA off of three rifles, but no longer will do so, because the ballistic bridge sub-base cures the issue of the QLA being non-centered, and wrecking accuracy.
I meant to ask about what the ballistic bridge does, sorry Ron…..

I meant to ask about what the ballistic bridge does

It makes full bore bullets fly straight. How? By controlling gas flow around the bullet? Me, don't really know how, just know that rifles with QLA that used to pattern bullets like a shotgun, using the sub-base now shoot straight.

Oil and plastic leave residue when burnt. The wool and veggie wads as far as I know burn up as I have never found one after a shot like you would a sabot. With wool wads you can smell the burnt wool. I shoot only full bore now 45cal smooth sized. Also I experience as low as 2fps es with a wool wad. I can't speak about shooting lead conicals as all I shoot is jacketed or solid copper bullets.
Wool and veggie wads do not burn up. If you look long enough and far enough out, they will be there. X

Latest posts

Back